PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds and layers

MaxBeckett
01-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi everyone,
I am pretty new to dreamweaver. I am a graphic designer and I am putting together a web site for myself. I've included a photohsop mock-up of what I am trying to do(it's a work in progress) . Basically my site is designed to look like a newspaper (yeah, I know, using high tech to reproduce low- tech, what can I say, I like the look, and I'm tired of slick looking "modern" type web designs). Is there some way to place text and what not on top of a background image/texture? Sure I could take the mock-up made in photoshop , just slice it up in imageready and make a page of it (which I did to see what it would look like with the rollovers and such). But I wanted to know if there is some better way to do this.

Also, ideally I would like the site to use that typewriter font, but, except for making all the texts into images, is that possible? Or is the only way that could work would be if the user has the font installed on his/her system? Sorry if these are stupid/basic questions, but I've never really used dreamweaver before.

One other question. I figured out how to add a layer onto my page and have it be hidden until a button is clicked. In this case I've tried doing this for the contact button. When "contact" is clicked a piece of torn newspaper appears on top of the page with the email info. I though I could put a hotspot on that layer, so that people could click on the email adress....but can't seem to do that. the image map/hotspot tools are unavailable when I've got that layer selected.

I hope this is somewhat comprehensible.
Thanks for the help, input, comments.
Cheers.

MaxBeckett
01-12-2006, 12:41 AM
This is what I meant by the piece of torn newspaper with the contact info.

MaxBeckett
01-12-2006, 12:46 AM
I want to create a small rollover effect on that "contact" piece of torn paper. When the cursor moves over the email address, those little red lines appear around the enveloppe, and when you click, it opens the email app. I know how to create the desired effects in other circumstances, but I can't do it on a layer. Is it just impossible? What would be the option?

Thanks a million folks.
Max

Creative Insanity
01-12-2006, 05:29 AM
For one no question is stupid if you do not know the answer.

Ok for your first question about the template. Make it in PS and IM and then watch this ('http://www.webthings.org/ci/template/').

Now as for that torn piece of paper and the tears to circle on a rollover... that is also possible by using dreamweavers insert image object feature from the insert menu. Just make the 2 images the same size and use the rollover feature on DW.
If you have anymore question just ask.

BTW I LOVE your site design..very nice and original.

MaxBeckett
01-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll take a closer look at that tutorial/video when I get back from work later today. I'll let you know how it works out.

Cheers,
Max

Creative Insanity
01-12-2006, 09:55 PM
best of luck then ;)
May I suggest that you use english for your site then you would reach a wider audiance.

MaxBeckett
01-13-2006, 09:43 AM
There will be an english version. But living in quebec city, my main client base is french speaking, which is why I'm putting together the french version first. Actually the english version will be up prety much as soon as the french one. Quebec city is a mainly french-speaking place so companies here that do business in english areas appreciate finding people who can work in both languages.

Max

Creative Insanity
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
That's cool also and I agree with what you say.