PDA

View Full Version : website broswer icon

chriskq
01-10-2006, 03:46 AM
Hi all,

i kno i have seen a topic here somewhere relating to 'how to make an ico.gif' so it is viewable in the broswer window, but i couldnt find one when i searched it, so:

i have a company logo that is 150x86 and when i try to reduce the image to 16x16 size it goes too disorted and 'fuzzy'. (no vector supplied)

any ideas apart from creating the image from sratch?

anyways after i create it, is it as simple as ftp' it in the main directory - do i need to tell the broswer how to pick it up, or does it do this automatically

Thanks Chris

Creative Insanity
01-10-2006, 04:38 AM
150x16 will not convert to 16x16. Just change the larger diamention to 16 and let the other one change to suit and you have to do it in a graphic program such as Photoshop.
Just open the image in PS or such like and copy it and then create a new canvas and paste it in there. Then change it's size as mentioned and it will not go fuzzy.
Change it to 8 bit and save as a gif.
Open the gif image in a program such as Microangelo and save it as favicon.ico and place that in your www root directory. Do not place a gif file as it will not work, it has to be in icon format IE: .ico.

chriskq
01-10-2006, 10:14 PM
sorry not much luck still

wish i had a vector Image program.

If anyone could help me make this as a .ico be would be super cool It just becomes so fuzzyyy.. gerrr.

thanks

Creative Insanity
01-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Unzip and place in your www root directory.
Do not care what it looks like in windows, as windows has a default thumbnail size which is larger than the size of the ico file so it will look distorted.

chriskq
01-11-2006, 12:12 AM
thankyou CI
will upload when i get ftp info - TA

Creative Insanity
01-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Welcome and enjoy :)

Thread closed.