PDA

View Full Version : entire layout shift problem

babyjami
01-05-2006, 09:47 PM
open this website ('http://www.whitewingicon.com/darek2/index.html') and then click on any of the graphical links. you will notice a horizontal shift in the page layout for every link except "networking" and "video conferencing". i need to stop that from happening but i have little html knowledge so i don't know what to do. i asked one of my former professors and he said:
"If you're concerned about the vertical shift, it probably has to do with the fact that DW will hold table heights visually, whereas browsers may not push out empty table cells vertically. The solution I guess would be to put in a spacer gif that forces the table height, or make sure that the height is define both in the table proper and the individual cells that are giving you grief."
and i've tried both of these but it doesn't seem to be working (i'm probably doing something wrong). could anyone please look over my code and give me some advice?? this problem occurs in firefox 1.5.
here ('http://www.whitewingicon.com/misc/dt.jpg') is a screenshot of the problem.

Creative Insanity
01-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Enlighten me some more.. I cannot actually see any problem.

davidj
01-06-2006, 07:41 AM
i can

your table or <td>'s are out of enlignment

decide which page is correct and make a few copies of that page then transfer all your data from the other pages into the copies. This is allot quicker than trying to adjust table rows and columns

babyjami
01-06-2006, 02:52 PM
i can

your table or <td>'s are out of enlignment

decide which page is correct and make a few copies of that page then transfer all your data from the other pages into the copies. This is allot quicker than trying to adjust table rows and columns
i have tried this and the same problem still occurs. it is as if the table is fixed to a certain height and when it grows bigger, the shift occurs.

desertdirk
01-06-2006, 03:56 PM
On your index page you have table height = 668, on the other pages the height = 662.

babyjami
01-06-2006, 04:58 PM
On your index page you have table height = 668, on the other pages the height = 662.
ah yes, i changed that. it doesn't fix the shifting problem though.

i realize this might be a problem with just centering tables. check out google's website and resize it from the bottom up so it gets scroll bars.. the same thing occurs.

desertdirk
01-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Well
you can always convert your tables to <div> and use CSS
DD

babyjami
01-06-2006, 09:24 PM
ahh yes, unfortunately i'm not experienced with css at all. my client tells me he will look into an alternative solution. thank you everyone for your attention and suggestions.