PDA

View Full Version : html file in email page.

00lewis
01-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Hi guys nice site, oh and happy newyear to all.....

I am currently designing some flash promotions for the company i work for. instead of creating a web page with the animations attached, and then sending, via email a link to that page, I would like to attach the flash animation to the email itself and have it play on the email page. All making sense so far?

I have been told that this is possible, but i may have to save the animation as an animated gif. and place it into a dreamweaver page and then attach that to outlook with some script. Hmmmm!

I also have been told that not all recipients will be able to view the flash promtions as they may have some sort of html blocker on. In which case i could create a link to a web page with animation on. lol exactly what i do not want to do!

Does anyone know how i should go about doing this or know where i could find the script to attach to the Dreamweaver Html file.

Kindest regards
:ph34r: :blink:

Creative Insanity
01-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Oh my god I would not recommend doing this AT ALL. Many are going to just kill the email when they see something like a swf file embedded.
I am picking that your audience would be companies, and all the companies I know and have done work for insist that all their email clients be text based.
Many home users would be too paranoid to allow the email in.
I would suggest using a text email with a link and that way you are atleast giving them an option to click or not to click.

But your idea I would most def not do.

00lewis
01-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Well also we (the company) would like to cosomise any emails sent out much like lets say monster job search feedback search emails. so i gues i still would like to know for that....

But i have also considered what your saying.... i also recomended just having a link to the swf file. Another way that i thought would be to have a html file with graphics and stuff to help intreegue (spelling not so good) to recipient to click the given link.......

So is it actually possible to put a html file onto an outlook email page?????

Creative Insanity
01-05-2006, 08:35 PM
html pages are possible for any email client as long as the person getting them has not got their client setup as text by default (which I always have).
If they do have a text email then all they will see is garbbage and all the html tags etc making the email impossible to read.
But yes you can setup an html file as an email message.

00lewis
01-05-2006, 08:44 PM
well that is a relief to hear ....... do you know of any tutorials or further reading on how to do this.... and do you know the difficulty level????
thank you for your help so far....

Creative Insanity
01-05-2006, 09:11 PM
How are these emails getting sent? From an email list, newsletter or just an email with cc or bcc.
If from a newsletter app then it would depend if they allow html options.
If from a client, just change the format to html.

As for swf files.. I am not sure how many, if any email clients would display a swf file as I do not know anyone that does this.

davidj
01-06-2006, 07:54 AM
As for swf files.. I am not sure how many, if any email clients would display a swf file as I do not know anyone that does this.

their are a number of factors as CI has mentioned but as long as those factors are met then you mail client should be able to display any html / flash

build your mail shot in DW as you would with any page and upload it to a dir on your host. Then copy and paste all the HTML into your mail script but make sure you change all Relative Path's to Absolute Path's for all Images and the src for the swf in the <object> tags.

The absolute path needs to be like

http://mydomain.com/mail_shots/january/banner.gif

or

http://mydomain.com/mail_shots/january/flash.swf

00lewis
01-07-2006, 01:00 PM
hey guys,

thanks alot for the intrest and help. i have much to consider. as i'm not that familiar with DW or editing mail scripts and stuff, this could take me some time..... its all fun this learning stuff. give me hmmmm about a month and i mau have cracked it...

thanks again for your help

Kindest regards....