PDA

View Full Version : Help with Forms

likegluelikecrew
01-05-2006, 05:22 PM
What I'm trying to do is create a drop down menu similar to the typical "State" menu you see all over the web, where there's one line that says "Please Select" or whatever, then the user clicks on it and a big long list opens up. The catch is, I want to make the menu like that, but allow the user to make multiple selections. When I change the form object type in Dreamweaver to List instead of Menu (since menu will only allow 1 choice), and if I set the height to 1 to have the initial look of the drop menu say only "Please Select", when the user clicks the menu (now a list) they can only see 1 entry at a time, instead of having the whole menu drop open (like in the "State" menu example. If I set the height to say, 10, then the user sees "Please Select" along with the next 9 entries, taking up 10 lines on the page, which I don't want. How can I set up a list so it initially has only 1 line then drops open with all the values like a menu, and also have a person be able to make multiple selections (by, I assume, holding down the CTRL key)? Is it possible? Thanks in advance!

We Are 138, We Are 138, We Are... 138

davidj
01-06-2006, 08:36 AM
i dont think this is possible in a menu form element only in a list form element with multiple selections checked

domedia
01-06-2006, 03:37 PM
agree, you're trying to usea form element that does not exist, and standards are already in place so you only have so many to choose from.
The appropiate form elemtn to use is a select list with the attribute 'multiple' in use:
<select multiple="multiple">
<option>Aquadoodle</option>
<option>Popcorn</option>
<option>Blue Whale</option>
<option>Popcorn</option>
<option>Popcorn</option>
</select>