PDA

View Full Version : Templates

Creative Insanity
01-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Ok, so you do your template and add all the graphics and css file to it and make it all nice and pretty and then you carry on building your site attaching the template to all your files and it looks nice and dandy in DW and then when you view it in a browser (anyone) many times the style does not show.
So you look at the page and see the link to the css file is there but still it does not show in a browser and the end result is that you have to attach the css file to every file to make it show, why is that and how can one fix that and stop it from happening?

gmcrone
01-01-2006, 07:01 PM
When you create your template, make sure your pointer to the css file is outside the dwt subdirectory.
Either put the css file in the root directory or in a css subdirectory.

Never had a problem when doing it this way.

Mike....

Creative Insanity
01-01-2006, 07:27 PM
it is in a css folder mike.. and the link on each file says (gets it from the template) style/wt.css
but nuh.. no show and when I link them in each page the link is EXACTLY the same. This is wierd ah.
Some one up there doesn't like me I think LOL

gmcrone
01-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Try this.

Test your pages out and finalize them.
Before you upload, change the CSS link to an absolute link
e.g. "http://www.mysite.com/css/file.css"

Then propagate an update to all the pages, then upload

Mike...

Creative Insanity
01-01-2006, 07:57 PM
yeah that would work. But the problem I have with that is that I build sites for many people and many of them have not, or do not know what their URL will be. Also many of them do not know if they want to go with .com or .co.nz

Most of what I do is sent to them on a CD and to see it working I upload to my development server.
That idea is fine if I know their urls, but many times I do not.

gmcrone
01-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Its always the little things that screw us up.....

Mike...

Creative Insanity
01-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Ya not kidding Mike.. LOL