PDA

View Full Version : How do I create a download link for a pdf

shineboy
12-30-2005, 04:56 PM
So I have a PDF that I want people to download just by clicking a button. The way it is now I'm linking to the pdf and it's displaying itself in my browser. How do I make it so that the browser gives the option to download instead of just poping up the image in the browser.

p.s. I don't want to zip the file I want to keep it a pdf

Creative Insanity
12-30-2005, 05:59 PM
If you don't want to zip it then it is always going to display as far as I am aware, because pdf is a reconised browser format.

gmcrone
01-01-2006, 02:53 PM
The user can either view the PDF on line or download it by right clicking on the link and "save as" or if viewed on line they can also use the PDF file menu to save a copy to their hard drive.

Just link to it as a normal link and tell them to right click and save to download it

Or if they use Firefox tell them to get the "PDF download extension"

Mike...

Jittor
01-02-2006, 01:56 PM
both CI and gmcrone are right shineboy - we do a lot of pdf downloads through some of our website (mostly freebies) and unless you zip it it will display in the browser. Most poeple know that and will usually use the file save in the pdf menu or they will just print it. I agree with gmcrone to just tell them to right click and save it.

Another option is to create an open action in the pdf file that will default to the save window so they have to save it when the file pulls up. You have to do this in Acrobat some people lie this because they have the option to save it or hit cancel, but some don't because the y feel like they are being forced to save it. - Just a thought.