PDA

View Full Version : User login control

malhyp
12-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Hey guys, can you suggest how I can do the following, or where I may find information on how to.

I have a user login page and want to know if you can make sure that there is only one user loged in at the one time.

E.g.
If a user is logged in and then another person tries to login with the same username, they are both locked out or something like that.

I have created the site using DWMX04, ASP & ACCESS.

Thanks Heaps.

Mally.

davidj
12-29-2005, 08:50 AM
I have created the site using DWMX04, ASP & ACCESS.
first here is my question... or questions which is grammaticaly correct

why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why asp?

sorry im not into asp

I have a user login page and want to know if you can make sure that there is only one user loged in at the one time.
ok what you could do is have a status field in the user table. When the user logs on then that field would be written to (add 1 to the field and when the user logs out change that 1 to 0 - zero)

if any one trys to log on then first check the status. If 1 exists kick em out. If 0 exists let em in.

If a user is logged in and then another person tries to login with the same username

remember that in some cases it could be both user name and password that makes each account unique so allowing someone with the same uname would be ok

are the users setting up their own accounts?

Creative Insanity
12-29-2005, 04:22 PM
why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why asp?
Damn good question dj.

malhyp
12-30-2005, 04:01 AM
Lolz,

ASP was taught when learning Dreamweaver. Jost sayed with it ever since.

Will get stuck in to something else soon.

Anyhow's thanks for the reply. Is this status field to be done in Access? Also I am setting up the user names & passwords.

I think I understand what you are saying here.

Thanks.

Mally.

Creative Insanity
12-30-2005, 04:41 AM
I don't know as I deceided on the cheap language and went to php. Way way cheaper to host.

dreamlynx
12-31-2005, 02:47 AM
why asp.

well for one asp is easier than php to learn. Here is the reason: php requires a mysql as a database and if you don't know sql than it's a bitch to learn if you are new to the database thing. I use asp and php. asp is much easier. and so is access.

I write in both. So i understand

Creative Insanity
12-31-2005, 05:27 PM
Yeah but there are many short comings with ASP.
Way more expensive to host and access as a database option is not a good one as after 12 consecutive connections it has a tendency to crash which can cause both data corruption and loss.
Maybe php is a little more to learn but the out come is a programming language that only ASP could dream about doing. Also a mysql database can handle many many consecutive connections no problems and complete all the requests faster than access could do for one person locally.

dreamlynx
01-02-2006, 03:22 AM
but its easier for the everyday user. Thats all i'm saying. People like me and you would always look towards php/mysql. But for small business people who want to host their own website a microsoft server is easier to set up and asp is what the anti christ caters to. But you are correct php is better/mysql is better.

davidj
01-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Is this status field to be done in Access?.

if you are using access then you do it in access

Also I am setting up the user names & passwords.

if you are setting up accounts then make the user name unique so you dont get any duplicates