PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Dreamweaver software

Jayl
12-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey all,

As I said in my intro I run a publishing company, and we are currently at the drawing board on our first publication. We are going to publish it on CD ROM, but we have two options for how we will publish it as software is concerned.

First there is Dreamweaver, I am in favor of a more interactive publication but this is also more time consuming than regular print or the next option.

Second there is Adobe PDF format.

So my question is this, would Dreamweaver be a good software to make an interactive publication? Or should we consider another software. And second if we do use Dreamweaver, how will we be able to convert it over onto CD so that our readers can view it?

Thanks for the advice.

Creative Insanity
12-27-2005, 08:28 PM
My own personal opinion on this would be to either use MSword to create the application and then either Acrobat or one of the Robo products to place it on CD. PDF and robo would in my opinion give a better and more polished look to your production, however, using PDF files you are going to eliminate the sight impeared as many text readers cannot read PDF files.

Jayl
12-28-2005, 03:21 AM
Some of the other advice I have gotten is to create it with Flash, i.e. a website and take that and put it on the CD and include Macromedia Flash player in case that they do not have it already.

I am willing to use PDF files, but the only thing I have against it is that it will look "plain" as with Flash and Dreamweaver it will look a little more attractive. So you have to make the trade off between presenting the articles where they will be presented well (PDF) or presented in an attractive way to get more potential customers.

Creative Insanity
12-28-2005, 06:09 AM
Is it not the content of the CD going to gain the customers?
If a publication is well written I think one could sell it in a txt file and it would sell if the content is something someone wants.
No matter how flash something looks, people are not going to buy it just for that reason alone if the content is not what they want.

davidj
12-28-2005, 08:30 AM
i have to disagree to an extent

i think if you present your data in a way that looks proffessional then the first impression is going to be confidence. A company that looks proffessional is halfway there. In the first few seconds people create an opinion of a person or a company or a product.

If a publication is well written I think one could sell it in a txt file and it would sell if the content is something someone wants.

thats because that person has already made his mind up he/she wants it. The txt file did not really sell the product.

think of it like this...
Audi cars, love them or hate them they are well built and they have a decent reputation but the add agencies still spend millions of pounds a year on advertising and those adds are bling and proffessional looking (NOT JUST TEXT)

It boils down to first impressions (like wearing a suit to an interview. You might be shit hot at your job and have an awsome CV but everyone still wears a suit)

i would sugest...
macromedia Director which usually used in CD rom production

Creative Insanity
12-28-2005, 08:37 AM
another one that triggers from dj's suggestion is one that is made by Installshield called DemoShield which is used by many large software companys for CD media of all types.

Jayl
12-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Is it not the content of the CD going to gain the customers?

No matter how flash something looks, people are not going to buy it just for that reason alone if the content is not what they want.

You are correct to an extent. One thing I have learned in marketing is that you could have wrote the most perfect, inspiring article in the history of mankind and it would make you want to read it, but if you put that article between two pieces of paper sack paper you won't be able to sell unless by word of mouth advertising.

i have to disagree to an extent

i think if you present your data in a way that looks proffessional then the first impression is going to be confidence. A company that looks proffessional is halfway there. In the first few seconds people create an opinion of a person or a company or a product.

You are correct, I've read a study that what makes people want to buy the magazine, book, whatever is the 10 seconds they take to look at the front of the magazine and flip through the pages to see the "bells and whistles" etc. If I remember correct they called it the raccoon condition where readers will look at the cover for "shiney objects".

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll take a look into them.

davidj
12-29-2005, 08:10 AM
You are correct

i know

If I remember correct they called it the raccoon condition where readers will look at the cover for "shiney objects".

i have a shiny head :(

domedia
12-29-2005, 12:56 PM
You can have any design you want in Acrobat files, why do you think it will look plain? PDF Files were built for publications. It can be as shiny as you want.
As an example, I got a free PDF from Before&After today. It's freely available, download it here:
http://www.bamagazine.com/ba3atRLand.asp ('http://www.bamagazine.com/ba3atRLand.asp')

desertdirk
12-30-2005, 05:03 PM
If you don't want to invest in Dreamweaver, and already have an office application like MSWord or OpenOffice, you could convert your documents to html and put that on the cd. Every computer is going to have a browser so you don't need to worry about adding an additional program. You can also add a autorun file so that the cd starts automatically and goes to the index page. Just make sure you use the correct paths when converting from the development machine to the cd.
dd