PDA

View Full Version : Why ASP?

Creative Insanity
12-27-2005, 06:30 PM
I noticed that many people here are using ASP as their language to learn and I only have one question.
Why?

The problems with ASP (Active Server Pages) is that being Microsoft it is VERY expensive to host such pages due to the fact that the hoster has a large annual outlay of money for licences for their servers, and they are going to pass that cost onto their customers. Also ASP uses VB script (another Microsoft product), and as we all know MS are really good at making things crash.

If you choose php instead your hosting costs would be way way cheaper for the simple reason that all that is required to run and host php is all opensource software.
php is free.
mysql is free.
linux is free (server OS) and many php script editors are free.

So I urge people to think long term about the language they pick and make sure if you pick ASP that down the road you can afford to host it.

davidj
12-28-2005, 11:59 AM
I noticed that many people here are using ASP as their language to learn

i dont think thats the case. The traffic on here is picking up so we will get the odd asp Q which we will try to help with but we are not getting flooded with ASP Q's

I think people choose ASP through DW. They want to learn the magic and DW steers them into ASP by making it a top-of-the-list choice.

Creative Insanity
12-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Top of the list.. yeah good point.