PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my newsletter html file.Please help!

ectavares
12-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi!

This is my first participation here in this forum and I'd like some help.

I want to make a HTML newsletter.I have put an image and layers on top of this image where I want some texts to be at.
But when I send an email to somebody the text is not at the correct position and some people say that the image is going as an attachment...

What is the best way to make a newsletter html email?

and how to solve my problems?

thank you

Eduardo Tavares
www.eduardotavares.com.br

domedia
12-23-2005, 06:21 PM
You should probably google for some html email tutorials.
Images: should be uploaded to server and linked to directly from html code (http://www.domain.com/image.gif)
Some Email clients can not read html emails so make sure it's sent as text as well (keyword: 'multipart'). Basically you need to take some time and study up on protocols used for email :)

ectavares
12-23-2005, 06:29 PM
thank you very much...

domedia
12-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Any html email guru's around to help more?
ectavares: hang around a few days, you never know who might answer this question..

Jittor
12-23-2005, 08:48 PM
ok ectavares - Lets find out what email program you are planning on sending this e-letter/newsletter out in. depending on the program you might run into the problem of not being able to send it out at all. Also you might want to consider developing an actual page and putting it up on your ftp. Then put a link in your Text newsletter that says something like "for HTML version click here". A lot of people hate HTML newsletters and/or their spam filters block them. A problem all on its own.

Jittor
12-23-2005, 08:59 PM
It sounds like you are just playing around right now, but if you plan on sending and managing groups there are freeware out there that will mass email and give you no problem sending HTML emails and plain text emails at the same time.

What are you using to create the HTML is it a wysiwyg program like Dreamweaver, or are you straight coding?

chriskq
12-24-2005, 09:43 AM
hi all,
my first post in a while since my new job as a junior interface developer @ massmedia.com.au

anyways, since i've started i've learnt many tricks of teh trade. One of them being - HOW TO CODE HTML EMAILERS

a few tips that might help you.

1. maxium width of html emailer can be is: 600 pixels
2. images used cannot be less than 11 pixels wide and high.
and finally the biggie that makes coding a bit of a drag is:
3. You cannot use colspan in html emailers. Everything must be in seperate tables that sit "on top of one another".

ie; each row pretty much needs a new table, unless you use
(with text)

i might be able to give u a hand if you upload some stuff.

everyone else, i'll def have to do a more interesting post soon (i should have internet access at home next week - D. J, i still havn't got it since last time i spke to you)

Cheers

ps- anyone wanting to have a look at some awesome flash scripting that talks to java scripting: massmedia.com - (opps, sorry gtg now, ill explain in another post)

ectavares
12-24-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi Jittor, first of all thank you for your help...

I am planning to use outlook express to send out those emails.Yes , I am using dreamweaver and this newsletter is not very profissional yet but it is intended to be...

thank you...