PDA

View Full Version : Exporting from Illustrator

Jittor
12-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Hello,

What is the best way to export from Illustrator into Flash. I have done this a number of ways but the files always seem to look crapy and I don't know why. Maybe it's my formating in AI. Any suggestions? Thanks

davidj
12-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Illustrator allows you to export your works of art in .SWF format so thats the way i would go.

dont export in other formats as both apps will have to do conversions which maybe why your loosing quality

Jittor
12-22-2005, 02:43 PM
That's what I have been doing, and it has the best clearity but some graphics I brought over from Photoshot and those are what look crapy. Any suggestions on that? From PS to AI to Flash?

davidj
12-22-2005, 02:54 PM
what format are you importing the photoshop image files into Illustrator

davidj
12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
this is abit round-the-houses and i will probably get a good flaming for even suggesting it

try importing your PS files (jpg or gif) into flash then do a Trace Bitmap on them to turn them into vector

set the Trace bitmap dialog as follows to get best results

Color Threshold: 10
Minimum Area: 1 pixel
Curve Fit: Pixels
Corner Threshold: Many Corners

now its a vector. save it and export that vector out

import that into Illustrator

watch your file sizes though. If you are going to vectorise say an image of the Crab Nebula then your file is going to be as big as the nebula itself and will infact take 6000 light years to import.. thats the truth

Jittor
12-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Will try, Thanks - Good example by the way

davidj
12-22-2005, 04:06 PM
please remember that using Trace Bitmap is great for simple images. The less colors and complexity the better and the smaller the file will be when you export

dont try and Use Trace Bitmap on family pics or sunsets as the world will fold in on itself creating a void where the only thing that will survive will be the mad frog

god help us

Jittor
12-22-2005, 04:11 PM
LOL - Yes, this I know, and my files are complex (gradients and the works) so this is a problem. God help me for I think the world will fold in on me anyway. Leaving me in Isolation with the Mad Frog.