PDA

View Full Version : why do we need to check in older browsers?

trell
12-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Just wondered why we need to test in older browsers as they are all free to update.
I test my sites in explorer, firefox and netscape, my css sites work fine.
why would people not update there browsers, these browser companies have made it so easy to update,(hats off to them :) ).
Surely if designers keep making these old browsers work people are less likely to update and we're not moving forward in technology.
Hope this isn't to obvious.
what's your thoughts
cheers

Creative Insanity
12-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Well many of the older generation and non computer savi would not know what you mean by update for one. Also in the corp world many IT staff will leave alone what is working since that can be many clients to a company network (sometimes spanning many floors and buildings). They have enough to do in a day without going around to hundreds of clients, many times thousands. A developer wants to be able to get to his target market and if that is one of the group I mentioned then testing in the browsers does not take that long for and would be a benefit to do so if they want to reach that target audiance.

trell
12-18-2005, 05:34 PM
ahh now i see. it would cost alot.

cheers

Creative Insanity
12-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Also testing in other browsers from DW is easy peasy. You only need them installed and then just a function key press to test them.
Normaly I just test in FF and IE. Since FF is netscape based (like opera, netscape and such) and IE.. well IE is in a world all on it's own.
When creating the site all you have to be careful of is what you set your behaviours for anyway.. the rest should work fine, unless someone is in windows 3.11 with a version 3 browser, but if that was the case they could do bugger all on the net anyway.

desertdirk
12-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Well many of the older generation and non computer savi would not know what you mean by update for one.
Just to under score what Creative said, a whole lot of people don't even know what you mean when you say "browser". And Trell, I have asked the same question. Why can't we move along already. You do have to consider your target and make decisions based on that. Do you have a site that you want virtually everybody to be able to view or is your audience likely to have the latest, greatest technology etc.

However, I would say that "web safe colors" are a thing of the past at this point and don't need to be taken into consideration in designing a site.

just my 2cents
dd