PDA

View Full Version : Image Saving Prevention?

LordNimbus
12-18-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm VERY new to Dreamweaver and pretty much have no HTML code in my blood but I'm starting a personal portfolio site of my artwork for sake of getting a job. My question is how do I set up the feature so that when someone tries to right-click and "save as" they get a window saying that they can't save the image. I would much rather do that than have to put some gigantic watermark on every picture. Thanks in advance for your help...

Brian

Creative Insanity
12-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Oh dear.. you want to disable right-click.
I am sorry to say that this will only not work, but you will piss people off that don't want to touch your images.

You can do that with javascript, but if a person REALLY wants your image they can just view the source, find the location of the image and then download it using the source location.
Wrap them in a flash movie clip.

LordNimbus
12-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Ah I see thanks. I guess I'll just go with allowing people to save it if they want. Thanks for your help!

Creative Insanity
12-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Just place a smaller version of the original and a lower quality and place some text saying these are only previews and the final work is this size and this dpi etc.

domedia
12-18-2005, 06:19 PM
In order for anyone to view your webpage and images in the first place, they have to dopwnload it to their computer, so if they view your webpage, they've all been downloaded allready.
If you don't want people to download your webpage/images, don't put it up on the web ;)

davidj
12-22-2005, 10:06 AM
in IE go to any site and click and hold an image then drag the image into the address bar

new window appears with your about-to-be-stolen image minus the right-click-disable function

however, dj would never condone this behaviour as its very wrong and
un-gentleman like, being A well-mannered and considerate person with high standards of proper behavior.

these tricks are a waste of time and bytes.

kate
01-22-2006, 07:46 PM
or...

In order to make it entirely cross platform, there’s a quasi-hack you have to use. It’s a display setting that IE for PC ignores, but Firefox, along with every browser known to the Mac OS, uses correctly. It’s the display: table; setting.

So, in your html, you simply create a <DIV> tag with a non-breaking space in it:

<DIV id=”photo1”></DIV>

... and then, in your CSS, tell it to put an image as the background, along with setting the width and height:

#photo1 {

display: table;
background: url(”contactinfo.jpg”);
width: 250px;
height: 250px;

Read the whole article:

http://www.cssinsider.com/entry/7391854642028387/

:D

Creative Insanity
01-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey there Kate!

however, dj would never condone this behaviour as its very wrong and
un-gentleman like, being A well-mannered and considerate person with high standards of proper behavior.

So who is full of bull today dj LOL

dthomsen8
02-06-2006, 11:11 AM
You may want to block Google's image indexing. You do want alt tag text, though. Block Google image indexing with a robots.txt file, which you want anyway to improve your SEO ranking.