PDA

View Full Version : MySQL in XAMPP not working

ramandeep
12-17-2005, 07:03 PM
I have installed Xampp on my new machine all the other service are working fine but MySQL is showing deactivated in status.
I have tried it starting it from XAMPP control panel.It shows service started there
:(

Where can be the problem?

Creative Insanity
12-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Check in services that the mysql service is set to auto.
I have heard somewhere that sometimes xampp makes mysql services from auto start to manual.
I have only heard this and not seen it as never used xampp.

ramandeep
12-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi CI,
I have already checked the services though it is on auto but it is stopped when i start it,it gives error:saying unexpected error occured! :angry:

Creative Insanity
12-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Uninstall Xampp and try and start it again.
Just as a problem solving thing.
I have heard some nasty things about Xampp stuffing things up.
Or reinstall Mysql again. It does sound to me like xampp and mysql are sharing a library and mysql or xammp doesn't want to share, I would pick xampp as the greedy one myself.

ramandeep
12-17-2005, 07:50 PM
CI,what other way to have testing environment for PHP and MySQL you reccomend!
Bluddy ell i have been changing ports to make it work.Changed all ports it required,i dont know what it still wants :P

Please guide!

Creative Insanity
12-17-2005, 07:51 PM
are you doing this on linux or windows?
I am reading an article on it and for Linux (MS poo stick for web servers) server it sounds rather atractive.

I am going to try this on my development server (Linux) and I will give you an update on how it all goes.
Will backup my current setup first.

If you are not using asp, and have a seperate system as your development server can I recommend that you install Linux on it instead of windows, since 99% of webservers use Linux.

ramandeep
12-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks CI,
Though i sell and support all related to Linux,I dont know why i stick to windows.
At the moment i have ubuntu (what you think of it)or from where i can download the latest release.

Creative Insanity
12-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Grab mandrake from http://www.linuxiso.org ('http://www.linuxiso.org'). I have the dvd version.
Then just install that and any help you want just ask as I can help you out.
You also have my email address for a faster reply. Linux rocks as a server no matter what breed, but ubuntu is a tad new for something as major as a development server. RedHat has gone to the pack after 7.3 and 7.3 is not easy to find and a little old now anyway. FreeBDS is a pain in the butt, but VERY powerful, but you do need a sound knowledge in Linux/UNIX to use it comfortably, which is why I suggest Mandrake.

Anyhoo I install xampp on the server and it just goes to show that you cannot believe everything you hear as I think it bloody well rocks and installed easy peasy.. if you can call unpacking something installing it. LOL
Cause that is all it takes.

Creative Insanity
12-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Oh dear. When you try to use mysql from a console it errors out.
Can't even connect to the server to create whatever. I wanted to add a password to the root phpmyadmin login so that databases can be created.
When you do a:

mysql -u root -p
it prompts for a password like expected and since there is no password for root at the moment I should be able to just press enter and login to mysql server, but I get an error saying:
Can't connect to local MYSQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock (2)
So now let's see if this can be fixed.

ramandeep
12-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Yes for Xampp is just very easy way! till date i have been using it.It never gave me problem before.I dont know with which program its having a conflict!

Otherwise its really just unpacking nothing else!

but i would like to give Linux a try!

I will get back where i face problem!

Creative Insanity
12-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Since I had (uninstalled before installing xammp) a hand install of mysql, apache and php etc already installed I think there may be a conflict in my setup with a previous install of mysql. The sock path is not the xammp one but my old one so I am doing a simple imstall of linux again but with only proftp installed so I can upload xammp to the server again and try it from a fresh install.

ramandeep
12-17-2005, 09:35 PM
After turning on/off few times XAMPP started working!

CI! Mate where i can get the best tutorials related to PHP and MYSQL connectivity.

Creative Insanity
12-17-2005, 09:37 PM
what are you after.

You are not chickening out on the linux install now are you.. shame if you are as you would see many benefits of having Linux if that is the enviroment you develop for.

ramandeep
12-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Nopes I am downloading the image of Mandrake!

I am not chickening out :D

Creative Insanity
12-17-2005, 09:54 PM
I don't like xammp. It is too restrictive.
You cannot run mysql from a console and there for you cannot create an admin password. Without an admin password DW WILL NEVER connect to a mysql server with no password and therefore I am going back to my original setup where everything worked fine.

So the things I heard about xammp is true. It is junk.

ramandeep
12-17-2005, 09:59 PM
CI,
Mandrake DVD image is 2.2 GB :huh:
Waitin!

Also meanwhile link me to some tutorials for Dreamweaver,PHP and MySQL!

Any tutorials just for practice!

Creative Insanity
12-17-2005, 11:50 PM
I wanna know what you want. You actually need to set a password for your sql user first or DW will just not connect. A good test for this is download phpmyadmin and place that into your webroot and setup the config file for that and also setup the password for the root user.
Once you have phpmyadmin running and connecting to the sql server and you can create databases, tables and fields then you are ready and dw will connect to your server. If you cannot do the above with phpmyadmin then forget about DW connecting until you have got that working.

I have created a heap of sql and php VTMs which dom is putting online and if not I will once they have been encoded as quicktime.
I am also be going to m a bunch of new ones also.
I also have some on creating a development server on windows. The linux option for that is so easy peasy I have not done anything on that.

Yeah the dvd is pretty big.. but you can use a download excelerator like flashget or something which speeds things up.
When you go to install it and config your video settings at the post install make sure you say no to xorg at bootup as with this at yes you cannot login as root and trust me you will need to many times.

If you run into any problems just shout (either here or email) and I will help you asap. Also DO NOT LEAVE ROOT WITH NO PASSWORD(there is an option for this.. don't use it and set a password for the root user.)
Also do not use xammp on your liniux server. I will help you setup php, mysql and apache manually so to speak. Way better and way less restictive than xammp crap,

ramandeep
12-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi CI,

I have uninstalled XAMPP as i did changed the password and made new DB from MySQLadmin but could not connect to DB from dreamweaver.
Anyway thats totally out of scene as i have uninstalled it and will not use again!

Now I have downloaded Mandrake ,am i required to extract it and copy the contents to DVD?
Also i will be going for a dual boot so i hope there is no problems with this?

Creative Insanity
12-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Duel boot is cool.

Ok, I hope you have a dvd writer. If not bummer, but I am guessing you have.

Now what burning program are you using?
Has the download got some kind of icon? I mean not the unknown application one, but some other. If it has an icon of your burning program then just stick a blank dvd in your dvd writer and double click on the icon and that will open the program and burn the dvd. Do not extract it as it is setup as a bootable dvd and doing so can trash the auto boot option.

If there is an unknown icon, then just load up your burning program and look for an option (proberly under the file menu) for burn image to disk, or words of that manner. Do not create a label for the dvd as that is inside the iso file anyway.

Once you have that dvd made you will need to create a partition on your harddrive with something like partition magic. You will need to resize your C:/ (if you only have one drive) and allow around 10 gig for the new linux partition. The install is only around 2 (depending what you install) you do not need the office stuff or the games.. also use kde as your xwindow manager. I say 10g to have room for databases and sites.
As a referance, my lin box has a 120g hdd and that is nearly full with just sites and databases so your linux space will need to grow more as you do more on it.

ramandeep
12-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi,
CI it is a zipped file which i have dowloaded!
I am having a DVD writer with Nero as the burning software.
I have a seperate partition 15 GB for this installation aswell.

What i am confused is if we extract and copy the content to DVD
it will no longer become bootable ,if i am right!
and Nero does not accept that zip file directly as a ISO image aswell!

Creative Insanity
12-18-2005, 05:57 PM
what is the extenstion? normaly linuxiso do not zip them nor does the distro makers. If you have winrar installed it may have that icon which would give the apperance of a zipped or rared file.. but look at the extension name. It should be .iso.

I know it to be an iso file (from linuxiso site link)
http://linuxiso.org/download.php/632/Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-DVD.i586.iso

Umm I do not use nero.. but I am damn sure that supports iso images.. see if there is a dropdown in the navigation option as it may have a few options there.
I myself use NTI DVD Maker which creates the iso file as the NTI icon.

Creative Insanity
12-18-2005, 07:01 PM
I think I have nero here somewhere I will install it and have a peep.

Ok as I expected, neros does do iso images.. I am using Nero 6.6.

http://webthings.org/ci/tut2/1.png

http://webthings.org/ci/tut2/2.png

ramandeep
12-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Hi Ken,
I made the disk out of that ISO image then restarted the system got to Mandrake screen after that after some time when it detects the USB devices * It shows an error message sayin corrupted hardware or a bug in installation...

I think there might be a problem when i downloaded the ISO image !
I am downloading the image again!

Also i have Red Hat Enterprise edition,is it similar to Mandrake ?

Creative Insanity
12-18-2005, 10:53 PM
yeah but it is crap.. RH have added something for their graphics called blue something and that has slowed it down now SOOOO much.
I could give you what I recommend but way too advance for starting out so persist with mandrake. Hmm why that gave that error I have no idea as md will just about load onto any system. I have even installed it on an old 486 no worries.

ramandeep
12-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Just downloading the image again,Today i am goin to sleep after installing Mandrake! :angry:

Creative Insanity
12-18-2005, 11:21 PM
You hope LOL

ramandeep
12-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Hi Ken,
Just back home from work!
Now i did have a complete working installation DVD of Mandrake!

Now i tried installing Mandrake after the detection of USB devices it says" Processing Installtion
Please wait"

I did wait for 10-15 mins nothing happened! I restarted and here i am.

Does it usually takes time there!

Creative Insanity
12-19-2005, 09:51 PM
No, from wo to go it takes about 9 minutes to completely install.

Ok.. You need nice CLEAN drives.. defrag. and do a disk clean also.
Linux is not fussy on hardware but it is VERY fussy where it calls home. So your harddrive cannot have any fragmentation what so ever.

This is where a seperate system is good as you will not need to dual and you can FORMAT the sucker first and then let Linux do what it will to the drive(s).

ramandeep
12-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Ok i will be doing it on the other system tommorow!
Also Ken
-When we make a linux server for testing how we can use DW and the testing
server together?

Creative Insanity
12-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Same as with a ms server.
But on the server you install a FTP demon (ProFTP is the best) and access remote and and testing with ftp option.
Only thing you MUST remember for F12 testing is to make sure you PUT any changed files and images otherwise the change won't show up in F12 preview.