PDA

View Full Version : calling Session variables for Database submissions

boozer
12-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Hi.
I am pretty new to Dreamweaver, and have read all I can on this issue, so firgive me if the answer is obvious.

I have successfully created a login page, as well as all of my database tables. I am able to successfully register and login my users. However, it seems that I am unable to call the session variables.

What is going on is this: My web site is designed for inventory management. After a user logs in, the user will then be able to add, edit, and delete their inventory items. When a new item is posted, I have hidden fields (company_name, post_ip, post_time, post_date, id, username, etc). My problem is that the hidden form fields company_name, id, contact_name (the person's name) are not being inserted into the database.

I have all the appropriate recordsets created, as well as the dynamic text to display session variables. Somehow, I know there is a way that when a user logs in, the entire row of the table can be registered as a session variable. But how?

Any ideas? I will post the code if anyone needs it.

boozer
12-15-2005, 05:56 AM
I have made some progress. It seems like I have made a small error somewhere. From what I can tell from my experimenting, if the PHPSESSID is added to the end of any URL, the session variables work.

How do I put the PHPSESSID in the url of all pages that are calling session variables?

boozer
12-15-2005, 06:40 AM
anyone?

Creative Insanity
12-15-2005, 07:59 AM
wait a sec.. most are either in bed or still at work.
Someone will answer in due course.

davidj
12-15-2005, 08:38 AM
<a href="newpage.php?var1=1&var2=2&var3=thisisastring">click here to pass vars</a>

<a href="newpage.php?var1=1&var2=2&var3=<?php echo $_SESSION['sessionvar']; ?>" >click here to pass vars</a>

boozer
12-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Lol. Sorry. I seem to loose all sense of time when I am working on my web sites. Day is night and night is day. I don't think I am the only one......

boozer
12-15-2005, 07:22 PM
I will give that a shot. Thank you!!

boozer
12-16-2005, 04:28 AM
Being so new to Dreamweaver, and some-what new to PHP is a factor here, I am sure.

My URL is www.XSStock.us.

To better understand my problem visually, click on "Corporate Login", and login with demo/demo. Once you do, click on "Inventory". That takes you to the Inventory Management page. There are two fields that should be populated from session variables; Company Name and Submitted by. For some reason, they are not being populated.

I have used everything stock right out of DW, so no modifications have been made to the code. I have read on the net that DW does not fully enable session variables, and that code alterations are a must in order to use session variables to the fullest.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I will be sitting here staring at this for a long time. My AIM name is BrettAPower.

P.S. One thing I have noticed is that the PHPSESSID changes whenever the page is refreshed or if the user goes to another page. This isn't suppose to happen, right?

Thanks in advance.

boozer
12-16-2005, 04:41 AM
<a href="newpage.php?var1=1&var2=2&var3=thisisastring">click here to pass vars</a>

<a href="newpage.php?var1=1&var2=2&var3=<?php echo $_SESSION['sessionvar']; ?>" >click here to pass vars</a>
I am most likely doing something wrong here, but it did not work for me.

Do I only change "newpage.php" to my file name? Or do I have to change more than that. Something tells me I do.

boozer
12-16-2005, 04:49 AM
JUST ABOUT SOLVED!!!!

It has something to do with includes. I am going to change a few things around, and see what rolls. Wish me luck!