PDA

View Full Version : how to resize pics?

mk59
12-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Hi, great forum, have started browsing throught the topics starting at page 70..... plenty of info here. I've picked up dreamweaver recently in an attempt to edit an existing website. I'm making progress on a number of fronts but have yet to find out how to resize photos so I can replace existing photos on the site.... I have dreamweaver mx and fireworks... and here is the site I'm working with www.wpltree.ca
thanks,
-Mark.

chriskq
12-09-2005, 11:18 PM
hi and welcome,
in fireworks you can re-size an image. Ie- make it bigger or smaller (reduce mb size or expand)

simply crtl a (to highlight the area you want) click image and edit image size. and now name your pixel dimensions. well thats how you do it in photoshop- should be something really similar.

size them as a gif if their for the web.

alturnativlyshortcut - go into the dwMx code section and increase image dimensions

chris

Creative Insanity
12-10-2005, 02:07 AM
they will distort and loose some of their clarity and resolution.

mk59
12-10-2005, 11:53 AM
distortion could be kept at a minimum by using the calculator to preserve the relationship of hieght and width.... wouldn't all website photos need resizing????

Creative Insanity
12-10-2005, 04:32 PM
They are done larger than needed and controled with width and height tags.
Calculate all you want, trust me they would loose resolution.

mk59
12-11-2005, 04:13 AM
hilarious.... I get a photo changed and looking ok, preview it in safari and explorer, then do the PUT command... then the photo is just a little question mark when I go to the web....
I did notice that fireworks created a PNG file for me... is this the wrong file type?
I see chriskq recommended gif.... can fireworks do this?

mk59
12-11-2005, 04:24 AM
whew... cannot see how I can change the file type in fireworks. Although it ocurred to me that this may not even be the problem. time to do more tutorials....
Would anyone know how to change a png to a gif or jpeg?
thanks,
-mark.

Creative Insanity
12-11-2005, 05:55 AM
hehe yeah load it into Photoshop (a decent graphic program).

mk59
12-13-2005, 05:26 AM
I do not have photoshop.....
will learn to change my photos soon enough.
thanks for the "help"
:D

Creative Insanity
12-13-2005, 07:55 AM
If you want to link or add the image I can do that for you. ;)

mk59
12-13-2005, 08:18 AM
got it...
needed to clic the "dependent files" option after going to "put"
I'm not saying this is a great pic, or that it is well edited, but it is there, rather than the pic that's been there for over a year...
thanks for the offer, creative insanity.... I'll need to do stuff myself, my financial resources are quite low, as I am a recovering canadian farmer, turned timberframer.
I'll try to hold back my questions unless I'm really stuck(for days and days) as I can see I am a beginner.
:blink:

Creative Insanity
12-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Naa no hold back.. if we can help then we will. We all started as a beginner.
Also the offer was free.

mk59
12-13-2005, 10:25 PM
:rolleyes: