PDA

View Full Version : Learning CSS

Jittor
12-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am confident enough in my knowledge of HTML to start learning CSS and then maybe PHP or ASP. I need some recomendations on websites or book that could help me start this process. If any of you have any recomendations please that would be very helpful. Thanks! :lol:

davidj
12-09-2005, 09:18 AM
personaly i wouldnt think of CSS as a stepping stone to learning a scripting language.
If you decided to learn HTML then CSS then JAVASCRIPT then PHP, moving from one to the next to the next etc then you will be 234 years old by the time you read your first PHP book

i would say a good understanding of HTML is all you need as a foundation then a scripting language. The others you pick up as you need and use them

Creative Insanity
12-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Agree with dj.. (except for the 234.. hehe)

Jittor
12-16-2005, 02:54 PM
I agree but I feel that I am far out classed in my coding skills and I am ready to take the next step. I am just not sure what the next step is? I am tired of using things like tables I would like to learn how to make a lay out like these sites have - pixel2life ('http://www.pixel2life.com/') and photoshopcafe ('http://www.photoshopcafe.com/') - They all have columns of info and a static top menu and so on, and I am sure they are more advance but it's the concept. Any suggestions on where to start? I obviously know that I will learn more as I go and as I need it. Thanks

davidj
12-16-2005, 03:23 PM
i started this learning curve by building some make-believe companies web applications

about as many as you can

each has its own requirements and final goal

if you want to learn all the skillsets and take those onto the job's market then build 4-5 applications (dont just do static html web sites unless its for your own interest and not the jobs market)

decide on a scripting language (LAMP is good although dotnet comands a higher pay rate at the moment)

example Projects....

1) a photo gallery including upload functions, login, newsletters etc
2) an outlook clone including a mailbox, calandar, todo's, contacts box (all online)

you get the picture

this is the fastest way to learn

Jittor
12-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Great - Thanks for the advice - at least it's a place to start. I have the design part down. that's what I do all day, but I want to know more web... for business and personal. Any other recomendations for the job market, i'll soak it all up? By the way-we have the same b-day - small world. :D

davidj
12-16-2005, 03:55 PM
By the way-we have the same b-day - small world.

only 365 - 1 odds and we have a few members. it was only a matter of time

now if you had the same b-day and the same name that would be spooky

Jittor
12-16-2005, 04:03 PM
LOL - agreed

Jittor
12-16-2005, 05:24 PM
a photo gallery including upload functions, login, newsletters etc

DJ do you have or know of any sample sites of this by chance. So I can get some ideas?

davidj
12-17-2005, 12:23 PM
ok

you look like you have made your first decision and its going to be a photo gallery

first you dont need to see other examples as this may pull you away from your own ideas. I have done this before and when i finished it was very clone like... colours, layout etc

start off on paper and write what you want to see on this gallery. As its a personel project you can go overboard with bells and whistles.

first page...
advertising, photoshop tutorials, about this site, Login
(you can make the content up as its just a home project to develop your skills)

second page...
view users gallery, interview with artists, free wallpaper

third page...
upload photos/artwork into user account area
area includes upload, delete, user blog

these are just ideas

the biggest mistake you will make is to dump an idea coz you dont know how to do it or think its too hard to do. 80% of the time its easier than you think. 10% its harder than you think.

Jittor
12-23-2005, 07:56 PM
you look like you have made your first decision and its going to be a photo gallery

Seems like an easy and fun thing to do. I googled LAMP and dotnet (.NET) to find out what exactly you were refering to, and now feel like a total newbie. It seems so easy but at the same time I have no idea where to start. Do I start out with a normal HTML page and go from there? What is your defination of LAMP or dotnet. I am not running/have Linux or Apache. Does that matter? help! :o

Jittor
12-23-2005, 08:03 PM
What is your defination of LAMP or dotnet. I am not running/have Linux or Apache. Does that matter?

I just quoted myself - lol

I am running Windows XP so I am assuming .NET is for me right now. Is that correct?

decide on a scripting language (LAMP is good although dotnet comands a higher pay rate at the moment)

You think that is because the general publix runs off of Windows?

davidj
12-28-2005, 11:45 AM

php or LAMP / WAMP is widely used throughout the industry because of cost (its free)

if you study dotnet then you will be aiming at companies (usually large) who have the budget and resources to impliment the nessessary cost. dotnet and php have their own pro's and con's but i think php has a bigger share of the market

if you choose dotnet then your going to have to find another forum as i dont think we have the skillset on here to help much

if your starting out then you cant go wrong with php and once you have it nailed down you can always cross train where it will be allot easier to absorb a new language once you know another

it dont matter what the client machine runs (windows, linux) you will be able to develop in both as you wish. The only problem you may have is if you learn dotnet and build a mega site that you want to show off to the world then your going to have to dig a little bit deeper in your pocket when the time comes to purchase some hosting space.

desertdirk
12-30-2005, 04:41 PM
I am confident enough in my knowledge of HTML to start learning CSS and then maybe PHP or ASP. I need some recomendations on websites or book that could help me start this process.
Hey Jittor

to answer your original question: there are tons and tons of sites and books. I just got a book on CSS called "stylin' with CSS" by Charles Wyke-Smith. It is a beginner book, not the be all and end all by any means but is a good starting off place for me. Found it on Amazon.com

I am running a Windows XP box and use PHP/MySQL and don't have any problem with it. I have been learning as I go and rather than in progressive steps, have been taking a lateral approach.

Some good websites for PHP/MySQL:

http://www.zend.com/php/beginners/index.php ('http://www.zend.com/php/beginners/index.php')
http://www.phpbuilder/com ('http://www.phpbuilder/com')

http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/ ('http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/')

and of course you can google for a lot more.

Personally I think (X)HTML and CSS go hand in hand and learning them together would be of great benefit. IMHO

I agree with Davidj in having a project to learn on. Start building some faux sites and play and experiment. Since you are posting in this forum I am assuming that you are a Dreamweaver user and I have found that it's support of PHP/MySQL are adaquate. Enough to get started anyway. (there are the pure-ists out there that say you should learn all the coding before you learn/use an editor like dreamweaver.)

Anyway hope this is some help
dd

Jittor
01-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks Guys,

DJ - I think I am going to go the php rout. One because I see it everywhere and two because I am a big fan of this forum and I know you guys wont steer me wrong when I need help.

DesertD - thanks for the advice on the books. I want to learn more CSS but think I might just start with php/MySQL and build more of a foundation for myself. Yes I do used DW and have used it for basic HTML, Javascript, and some CSS but I am ready to break free and learn more.

Thanks for the advice!