PDA

View Full Version : What are the versions of Dreamweaver?

dreamaway
12-07-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm thinking of using Dreamweaver but will probably give it a try out on an earlier version first (I think 8 is the latest?)

Can anyone list the different versions and when they came out/any differences?

I've also seen Flash, Fireworks, Coldfusion, Contribute, Flash Paper and other elements for sale with Dreamweaver. Any opinion on how useful/necessary these are?

Thanks.

davidj
12-07-2005, 03:45 PM
dont go any earlier than MX or you may regret it
8 is the latest version but there is little difference and as your just starting out there is no need

(although you wont be able to buy any version other than 8 if your going through macromedia and if your going elsewhere then you should expect a big discount for any other version)

Are third parties allowed to sell earlier versions ??? Mmm.. i dont think so??

regarding Flash, Fireworks, Coldfusion, Contribute, Flash Paper

flash is used for web animation. You must have seen some flash work when browsing in your time

Fireworks is an Image Creation tool like photoshop but aimed at web design. It is designed to work along side Dreamweaver as its from the same stable

Coldfusion is a scripting language which allows database application development (you dont need this and there are others although it is said that this is the easiest to get your head around. I prefer PHP

Contribute after you build a site your clients can use this to add and edit content without the need to understand code (drag - drop - type - save) i do believe this is license based and each content editor has contribute installed on their machine (not nessesary really)

Flash Paper I may be wrong but i think flash paper is a tool to turn flash content into PDF files (other doc formats are available as well)

dreamaway
12-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Many thanks for reply. I'm just thinking to change my own web site from Frontpage rather than design for other people.

Am I right in thinking MX was a 2004 version? Looking on Ebay I can't see a version 7, 6 or 5, but a version 4 seems to exist. I assume MX was after version 4 anyway.

While I'm here, is it reasonably ok to add a shop to a Dreamweaver site, or do I have to be careful what type of shop software to choose?

Thanks again.

davidj
12-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Am I right in thinking MX was a 2004 version?

yes

please dont use version 4. its like buying a black and white TV when you really want a plasma

dont go with anything earlier than MX

there are shopping cart extensions which demand a fee or you could go with a shop-in-a-box but allot of these are unfriendly if you try to dreamweaver them

Actinic is ok as a shop-in-a-box

google dreamweaver shopping carts

dreamaway
12-09-2005, 11:11 PM
ok thanks!