PDA

View Full Version : Web Design In Flash

aestronza
12-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Would anyone be willing to help guide me through designing a website (for a portfolio) in FLASH?

Don't be too scared, I do know how to use Flash (as a novice), and I have many questions. However, I'll begin with just two:

1. When designing the navigation would each "page" be a scene?
2. If it is, in order to design each page to have the same look, is there an easier
way to do this, other then copying and pasting from one scene to the next?

For now, these are my two major concerns. I am trying to design my professional portfolio in the most successful way. Originally I set it up using Dreamweaver with the use of layers, and behaviors to find that depending on the viewer's monitor resolution would depend on how my site is being viewed. This, to me, is not reliable and could discourage a prospective employer if viewed at a resolution other then the one I created it on because either my layers are hanging off the side, or they are overlapping. This would make it appear to a viewer I don't know what I'm doing.

Please help. :blink:

davidj
12-06-2005, 01:21 PM
When designing the navigation would each "page" be a scene?

not all the time. Each page could be a scene or a frame or a seperate swf

2. If it is, in order to design each page to have the same look, is there an easier
way to do this, other then copying and pasting from one scene to the next?

i would have the design elements in a seperate graphic which you can drop onto the stage from the library. I dont like having loose elements on the main stage.

my way...
on my main stage i would only have 5 frames on a 5 page site using
gotoandstop() functions as each page is called. I would have all the animation stuff in movies instances

aestronza
12-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Thank you for your reply.

i would have the design elements in a seperate graphic which you can drop onto the stage from the library

I figured that each element, such as nav buttons, logo, etc. would be in the library. My concern however, is the exact placement of each element on each page. I don't want my viewer to click on a page and see my buttons, banner, and/or logo along with any other static elements shift.

Would it be best to begin with one Flash file (flash1.swf) get everything in place and then save that file as a second Flash file (flash2.swf) ? Then do this for each continous page? I'm not looking at creating a monster site, just one that has maybe 5 - 6 pages.

I would have all the animation stuff in movies instances

Does this mean that all of my static elements such as banner, logo, navigation buttons do not need to be in the library?

:blink:

davidj
12-06-2005, 01:52 PM
no. i dont think you understood me

1. design your site in a graphic in flash (banners, buttons, nav etc) call it layout

2. drag your graphic (layout) to the main stage in frame 1 layer 1.

3. you can then use layout as you need to as all the elements are in it

-----------

i would use layout only once (frame 1 layer 1. ) then have an actions layer with stop() function in layer action, frame1

add frames as you would pages

frame1 | frame2 | frame3
=
page1 | page2 | page3

aestronza
12-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Okay ... here I go ... I'll begin. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. I really do appreciate you taking the time to offer me some guidance. :)

kbtarl
08-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Okay ... here I go ... I'll begin. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. I really do appreciate you taking the time to offer me some guidance. :)

I (as lots of people I'm sure) are interested in designing websites using flash. Are there good references that show flash web site design. I follow what you are saying about making the "layout" scene 1, layer 1 and then making each new page another scene....is that correct or am I confused already.

I tried to follow CartoonSmart webdesign but that guy is all over the place...lol. NE1 have better suggestions? Are any of the books listed on Amazon.com worth buying?

Thanks for any help.

Bruce

davidj
08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
layout" scene 1, layer 1 and then making each new page another scene

almost right.. layout can be in scene 1 but you could have many layers in that scene which hold your objects like movies and graphics etc

i used this method way back when flash was v00.0001 because it was easier to incoporate a loading screen in a seperate scene.. (easier to target )

i have used seperate swf's as seperate pages which are called into one main swf. This allowed me to assign a loading screen for each swf.

you can have your entire site in one scene across one timeline then when you change pages you just send the playhead to the desired key frame which displays your new page data

many ways to choose from and all are correct
some are better than others