PDA

View Full Version : Only URL appearing in SE result, no other wording?

st3v1e
12-04-2005, 05:36 AM
Hi,
I've just noticed that when my site appears on the search engines (way way down the list at the moment) all that appears in the result is the URL - www.fire-the-b0ss.com/ - I thought that by entering the title in the header of the web page, I'd see a description or the first paragraph of my site.
How do I make the site description appear in the SE results?
Can anyone help please?

Many thanks,
Steve

Creative Insanity
12-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Most search engines don't read meta tags these days. Do a search on here as this topic has been covered on more than once before.

Jittor
12-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi,

Try this it always works for me. I know the previous reply said the meta tags don't really work anymore, but they still work for me. Try this code in your head tags but fill in your own info, all other stuff leave the same:

<head>
<title>Enter title here but also put your discricption here, seperate every new discription with a comma and put everything within the quotes</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta name="keywords" content="enter the same discription as your title but use it in keywords">
<meta name="ROBOTS" content="ALL">
<meta name="Revisit-after" content="7 days">
<meta name="Distribution" content="Global">
<meta name="description" content="Enter the same discription as in your title, this way you have your discription 3 times">
<!--Here is a little trick, put your discription in here again-->

Below is an example of how to use this say if you had a pet training website:

<html>
<head>
<title>Dog Training by PetsIncredible - Pets Incredible The PetsIncredible Dog Training DVD is the fun and easy to follow system that works for any dog at any age! Plus Pet Training, Puppy Training, House Training, Crate Training, Jumping, Chewing, Training your adopted Dog</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta name="keywords" content="Dog Training by PetsIncredible - Pets Incredible plus Pet Training, Puppy Training, House Training, Crate Training, Jumping, Chewing, Training your adopted Dog, Pets Incredible, PetsIncredible, Dog Training, Puppy Training, Training your adopted Dog, House Training, Crate Training, Jumping, Chewing, Mouthing, Manners, Obedience">
<meta name="ROBOTS" content="ALL">
<meta name="Revisit-after" content="7 days">
<meta name="Distribution" content="Global">
<meta name="description" content="Dog Training by PetsIncredible - Pets Incredible plus Pet Training, Puppy Training, House Training, Crate Training, Jumping, Chewing, Training your adopted Dog. Pets Incredible: The PetsIncredible Dog Training DVD is the fun and easy to follow system that works for any dog at any age! Our proven, positive reinforcement, reward based training program will solve the following behavior problems: House Training, Chewing, Jumping, Mouthing, and Manners. We've also included a bonus segment on Crate Training.">
<!--Dog Training by PetsIncredible - Pets Incredible The PetsIncredible Dog Training DVD is the fun and easy to follow system that works for any dog at any age! Plus Pet Training, Puppy Training, House Training, Crate Training, Jumping, Chewing, Training your adopted Dog-->

domedia
12-06-2005, 01:38 PM
st3v1e,
depending on the search engine you're using, changing your <title> and site content should be enough.

meta tags are basically dead, for search engines anyways, and there's really no need to use them.
(altough google sometimes will use your meta description if it can't find suiteable content to draw the description from, but that's an indication that your sitecopy is not optiomized.)

st3v1e
12-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Guys, as ever, many thanks for the replies.
I realise most SE's don't relate to meta tags anymore, but I was concerned that when i did a search on Google for my site, the only thing I saw in the results was the actual URL

After trying to submit my site to several SE's, I received a notification from Jayde.com, advising:

"Your Site has been Rejected by Jayde.com.
Your url could not be added to the Jayde search engine for the following reason:
Incomplete data: Site title missing"

So I just wanted to know what the main problem was.
I'll try the above suggestions and post back when I've got a result.

Have a great week.

Regards,
Steve

domedia
12-06-2005, 10:37 PM
yeah lol without a title on your page, is pretty dead too ;)
I looked at your site, and your title is now fine :)

st3v1e
12-07-2005, 06:53 AM
domedia,
yeah lol without a title on your page, is pretty dead too
Not sure what that means . . . . . . I'm open to a bit of constructive criticism please!

Also . . . . . I just tried again, and saw the same result!
Try this . . . . . go to Google . . .. . in the search box type

fire-the-b0ss.com

. . . . . then please let me know "EXACTLY" the result you get

Thanks,
Steve

Creative Insanity
12-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Not google as it sucks in my books.. but on alltheweb.com the only result was.
Web Results (What's this?)

Fire-the-B0ss.com-Making Money on the Internet - The Secret Formula!
If you're fed-up working for a B0ss, and want to start. making money online, you've come to the right place! No schemes, tricks or games, I will show you how you can make. an excellent income using methods which others
more hits from: http://www.fire-the-b0ss.com/ ('http://www.fire-the-b0ss.com/') - 39 KB

Ok you can smile now LOL

st3v1e
12-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Oh OK,
. . . . er, so why doesn't Google recognise the description in the "Title" tags of my page?
That'll be a real pain as I'm hoping to start using Google's AdSense soon!

Thanks for the post by the way . . . . . as a Mac user, it's difficult to make sure the world's PC users are seeing what I'm producing!

Any other feedback about the page (I'm a big boy, I can take it!)

Regards,
Steve

domedia
12-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Google has no problem with your title tag <title>Making Money on the Internet-The Secret Formula</title> it shows up on google like it does for all other websites.

Creative Insanity
12-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Ok since you are a big boy here goes, now hold your breath as I am blunt and too the point.

1. The background color is horrid and too loud and takes the attention off what is ment to be read.
2. That side add banner thingie, is that REALLY needed? That is annoying and distracking also.
3. The banner does not match what the site is ment to be about.
4. The index is WAY to long. Cut it down and just have a breif intro on what the site is about and create a navigation section for the rest of the content. Doing it the way you are, you are not giving your viewers the choice to read what they want. Good way to drive people away.
5. Your site does not have the wow factor. What I mean is that when a person first sees your site they need to be impressed by what they see and then they will investigate the place further, and also tell others about it.
6. Why on earth do people waste so much space on a website with a single strip down the middle and all that wasted space on the sides. This one eludes the hell out of me.
If that type of design suits then fine, but many don't and I am afraid yours is one that does not suit that style.

st3v1e
12-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Creative Insanity,
. . . .. hey not THAT blunt!

No really, thanks for the constructive criticism . . . . I take it all on board, and (though it may take some time to re-do it again) will endeavour to "Upgrade" the site with your comments in mind.
Trouble is, as always, people have different idea's about what's needed, and I've received a few complimentary comments also . . . . could they just be being nice?
That's why I asked . . . I needed feedback from someone who doesn't know me, or have an axe to grind . . . . so thanks for the honesty!

If you have the time, could you reply to the following:

1. The background color is horrid and too loud and takes the attention off what is ment to be read.
Hmmm, define "Loud" . . . I thought it was a good contrast between light (standing out) and dark . . . or is it the graphic which is too loud?
2. That side add banner thingie, is that REALLY needed? That is annoying and distracking also.
Never used AdSense before, and I was hoping to use this as a marketing tool . . . . . but maybe the ads should be "ON" the page ?
3. The banner does not match what the site is ment to be about.
The banner intends to show the results of the efforts put into building a business . . . .. how did it come across to you?
4. The index is WAY to long
Which part are you referring to as the "Index"?
5. Your site does not have the wow factor
Yes I agree . . . . it looks like all the others I looked at before I started building it, but it's my first attempt, and I guess I have to start somewhere . . . . will try harder to be original next time!
6. Why on earth do people waste so much space on a website with a single strip down the middle and all that wasted space on the sides.
I'm designing my site on a Mac, and I noticed that when i tried to use a basic template, things were going "wobbly" and not lining up correctly, this design was easier to "control".

Domedia,
Thanks for the reply too, and the feedback, must be MY bISP's cache providing the same results - I've had this problem before.

Thanks all . . . . . further feedback appreciated . . . . early days yet !

Have a great weekend everyone!
Steve

Creative Insanity
12-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Hmmm, define "Loud". I thought it was a good contrast between light (standing out) and dark, or is it the graphic which is too loud?
The background image is blinding. Make your bg image something soothing and relaxing. Mid to light pastel colours will do the trick there.

he banner intends to show the results of the efforts put into building a business . . . .. how did it come across to you?
That is my point it didn't. It looked to me as if you just got a few images, splat and banner done. No thought I got from it.

Which part are you referring to as the "Index"?
The front page. That is called the index page of a site.

Yes I agree . . . . it looks like all the others I looked at before I started building it, but it's my first attempt, and I guess I have to start somewhere . . . . will try harder to be original next time!
Well don't settle for 'that'll do'. Work more on it.

I'm designing my site on a Mac, and I noticed that when i tried to use a basic template, things were going "wobbly" and not lining up correctly, this design was easier to "control".
Macs understand 100% don't they? as for wobbly.. once again settling for second best. Use tables and make it work.

What I consider for that type of site is a clean, crisp fast loading site with out to much crap to distract a person from what the content is trying to tell them. Give the viewer options on what they want to look at and not force everythng down their throat on one page.