PDA

View Full Version : bit off the track.. But help needed

chriskq
12-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi all.
My new 2 day old laptop has died, well not died but it stalls when it reaches the windows is starting up page with blue background (everytime!). Think some sort of virus got me.
SO what i need advice on for my-new-to-be reformatted laptop is on internet security software.
I had Adaware and AVG Antivirus running, so i guess im missing a spam program.? or ?
Any help guys coz i so dont want to have to reformat my hardrive again any time soon.(assuming it will work after its been done)
Cheers Chris

Creative Insanity
12-03-2005, 06:28 PM
For one AVG would not know a virus if it tripped over it.
Go to avast.com and download the free for home version of avast. This one would be the best around today and second to none.
Also a good firewall is also needed. I use McAfee Personal Firewall. Not their security suite.. that is crap, but just there Personal Firewall Plus. It is awesome and just does the job without asking all the stupid questions that most ask.
Ad-aware is out dated and I would if I were you get Xoftspy, this would be one of the best. Although ad-aware is pretty good, I have found things with xoft that ad-aware missed.
Xoftspy is however a commercial product. It will let you scan and if you want to remove what it finds you will need to get a licence for it. In my view it is well worth the money.

Another thing I do (many say I am fullish) is never get windows updates. I have seen many people in the past get so many problems from these which is why for the past 12 years I have not updated any of windows.

ramandeep
12-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi Chris,
As you say the screen turns blue!What i think of it is that there is no virus or Spam.Normally blue screen errors occurs due to faulty hardware or say mostly due to faulty RAM.

Thats what i think!!

Or might be there is a new blue-W32 virus
:P Kidding

Taz69
12-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Chris, try unplugging any USB devices you have attached, can you start up in safe mode, press F8 at startup to choose startup method, if you may have installed any software before you shut down last, try last known good configuration.

Taz

bolloscript
12-06-2005, 02:28 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me once, and just to echo ramandeep, it was faulty RAM.
So if you have access to another stick of RAM, as long as its the same type, just try swapping them & see if it boots up. :-)

chriskq
12-07-2005, 08:15 AM
thanks for all advice, esp Creative - ill look into that software

and for the others thanks aswel - it actually was some sort of virus that just totally stuffed up windows, partly my own fault as i turned it off during a virus run.

but re-formatting worked a treat!, plus i now know it for the future.

RE: Windows updates - thats what i thoght aswell CI, my friends think otherwise. Whats the best way of avoiding windows updates? like i know you can cancel them, but then when you go to turn off ur puter- it always sez "turn off windows and install updates" ???

how do you get around this -
cheers again all

davidj
12-07-2005, 10:17 AM
you can disable windows updates from your control panel

Creative Insanity
12-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Ok here is how it is done.
If you do have SP2 (puke crap junk)

1. Right-click on my computer and select manage. Select the bottom section on the left hand panel and expand and double click on services.
Look for Automatic Updates (near the top) and right click on that and select properties and then press the stop button and on the dropdown where it says 'Automatic' change to disable.
2. Look for one called Sercurity Center' and do the same to that sucker also.
There is also one there called messenger which is riddled with bugs and causes locks and slowdowns, so disable that sucker as well.

If no sp2 (yaaa nice working system)
Just do 1 as above and the messenger one also.

There are many services I stop as so many are not needed for the average joe and just waste resources. Becareful what you disable there though as you could bring the puter to it's knees.