PDA

View Full Version : Artist Portfolio - What is the best way?

noynek
12-02-2005, 03:38 AM
I'm designing a portfolio website for a painter. I've completed the design in Photoshop and I'm ready to begin creating the pages in Dreamweaver. Most of the site will be static, but there is a gallery page and a News page that need to be easily updated. Although I'm pretty familiar with HTML and CSS, I have no web application development experience. Here is what I need:

Gallery Page

About: A thumbnail gallery with about 50 images. These thumbnails will probably be spread between 3 pages. Each thumbnail will link to another page with an enlarged image and some relevant text.

Needs: As the artist makes new paintings, I need a simple way of adding those new paintings. The thumbnails and full size images would be generated from Photoshop, but I'd like a very simple way to update the gallery thumbnail page and generate the new enlarged image page.

News Page

About: A page where news and updates can be posted. This is basically a stripped down blog.

Need: This is a very simple blog style page, but it must maintain the same page design. I only need the ability to create a post with a Title, Content text, and Date. A login page and form are needed to create the posts online. There would be very few posts created so I don't think a database would be needed. Storing to a text file would be sufficient.

What would be the most simple way of doing this for someone with very little database or web application knowledge?

Thank you!

davidj
12-07-2005, 11:54 AM
without a handling script im afraid you will have to roll your sleeves up and manually add content as it is produced. This will soon become tiresome although you can build this update time into your fee

the best way would be to go dynamic (php, asp, coldfusion, jsp, dot net )

Creative Insanity
12-07-2005, 04:48 PM
If you already have a template may I suggest you look at webthings.org where you can get dynamic websites for free or very little cost.
Since this is not a commercial site I would say it would be free.