PDA

View Full Version : Integration with SourceSafe

bkendall
11-30-2005, 05:29 PM
I am having a lot of trouble with the check in/checkout functionality in dreamweaver so we are considering using SourceSafe for better control.

Anyone had any experience with this? Does it play nice with MM? any links or reviews that anyone knows of would also be helpful.

FYI we are using studio 8 but I had the same in fact worse problems in mx 2004.

thanks B)

davidj
12-01-2005, 12:22 PM
how many times have our development team have over written stuff that was written the day before? hard to count really. There used to be an incident every week.

the first thing we do now when developing is to sync with the remote site on to our local then only use remote (never local) when grabing pages to edit. this tends to work.

I can see where you are coming from with this problem so if you feel the need to move over to a doc control third party system then thats what you must do

i have never hade any exposure to this product (SourceSafe) so cant advise but i would imagine that it would do what it says on the tin. Try my method out first to see if it helps then if its no good go fir the doc control software.

bkendall
12-01-2005, 02:52 PM
It certainly is frustrating and particularly when two of are working on the same pages. You are never sure if you should save a file and risk that someone had had it open in the las 5 mins or not. You should be able to rely on the check in/check out status but we have found that it is not always accurate.

Yesterday we opened a site that had no status symbols at all (lock or check marks) and when my co-worker went to save a file he was told it was newer on the remote. He had just pulled the files 30 mins earlier and knew he was the only one working on the files.

davidj
12-01-2005, 02:59 PM
we dont really do team dev anymore. There are 5 developers and 3 project managers/developers so we tend to get our own projects

when i upgraded from mx to 8 i had to unlock all the files from my own dev server as there was someone called DJ working on them!
who the hell is he?