PDA

View Full Version : Some from the UK.

Creative Insanity
11-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Here in NZ we have to re-register our cars every 6 month or 1 year (depending on what you pay) which is just paying for our number plates really. Also we have to have a warrant of fitness check every 6 months to be allowed to drive a car on the road.

Now I am having a disagreement with a mate that says (I said bull) that in the UK you have a simular thing to our registration but he recons that your cars are tested and if they do not meet the (how to say this) specs of the car when it was made you do not get your registration (or what ever it is called over there).

Is this true?

davidj
11-21-2005, 05:11 PM
we TAX our cars as you do 6 or 12 months (road tax to help pay for bloody cones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

we register our cars so they can be traced to an address (nowt to do with mods)

a car that is over 3 years old requires a M.O.T certificate to check that it is safe (road worthy)
You can mod a car (please refer to my enzo) as you wish as long as its safe and wont fall to bits

They look at brakes and lights and tires. Just safety stuff really but you can do what you like with it

the only issue you may have is if you take a 1.8 ford and turn it into a 5.0 nutter mobile and your only 17 then you may have problems getting insurance

Creative Insanity
11-21-2005, 05:21 PM
So I was correct. (cool I hate being wrong hehe).
So it is more or less the same as us.
Our WOF is the same as your MOT and just a safety check. We have to get these every 6 months unless your car is under 5 years old, then it is every 12 months.

With what my mate said I thought was bull. As what about a person that has a car which has been pimped to the nines (big thing in NZ), if it was his way then that could not happen in the UK, which I thought was crap.

Our Insurance companies are the same for drivers under 21. If you have a beast of a car (pimped to the nines) or a sports car with turbo then they can expect to pay a huge annual insurance bill. (some as much as $2100 a year). My youngest son (now 20) never insured his car as he is a pimped car nut and has done heaps to his car and the insurance would kill him.
But I say to him (since he has forked out over $20,000 to pimp it) would he rather pay $2000 a year or loose all his investment if he has a pile up, and at the speeds he drives that could very well be on the cards.

davidj
12-01-2005, 01:39 PM
If you have a beast of a car (pimped to the nines) or a sports car with turbo then they can expect to pay a huge annual insurance bill. (some as much as $2100 a year).

i imagine that those are Australia Dollars which is 900.060.

I pay that now and im 37 with 2 years bonus and no convictions or points. I live in the middle newcastle city center so my post code NE1 (bling) does play a big part of that cost and the car is a group 17.

i have had quotes of 3000 ($7,002.41 AUD) shocking eh

Creative Insanity
12-01-2005, 06:49 PM
They are NZ$ excuse me muchly LOL. We do have our own currentcy dj hehe

Um remind me that if I ever go to England some day to live, not to buy a car.
I will just steal them use it for a day, dump it and steal another.. but then I guess that is why your insurance costs are so high.

Andromeda
12-02-2005, 04:47 AM
:D Creative Insanity, it's good to see another kiwi! on here.