PDA

View Full Version : LQQKing for Freelancing Information

aestronza
11-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I am currently a student, soon approaching the end of my BFA in Visual Communications. I was really hoping to gain some knowledge on how as a Freelancer you charge your customer. I have talked to someone who is a Web Desginer, and am not completely satisfied with the response.

Can anyone, please, shed some light on this subject for me? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Aleja

Creative Insanity
11-11-2005, 11:13 PM
That is a hard one as what would be the rate for one client will differ from another.
Complexities also come into it. Like you could not set a large sum for a contract that is only basic and will only take 10 minutes.

The way I set a contract rate (which differs from contract to contract), is that I have my hourly rate that I consider reasonable and with that I plot down on paper what is involved to complete that contract and how long it would take me to do it. Then once I have a hourly figure I times that by my rate and charge that. If the client is a regular I normaly take off a percentage for their dedication and to also get them to come back again.

Don't start too high as the contractee will say "stuff you" and go somewhere else. Be reasonable to both yourself and the client.

I cannot tell you what hourly rate to charge as I do not know your ablilities for the line you want to go into.

davidj
11-14-2005, 07:59 AM
or you could have a per page rate

If its a static html 5-8 pager then you should know how long this would take. Also build in the design time. I usualy knock up a couple of flat jpg concepts and present them on the 2nd meeting.

There are grants to be had here in the uk for businesses where marketing is concerned. I worked for a company that priced themselves high but the cost to the client was probably a third of the quote because we would claw the balance back from the grant... hehe :D

aestronza
11-14-2005, 10:36 PM
That is a hard one as what would be the rate for one client will differ from another.
Complexities also come into it.

This much I figured. However, the question to that is, would you charge more if:

You (designer) needed to gather images
Site used animation (gifs)
Had intro Flash page

The way I set a contract rate (which differs from contract to contract), is that I have my hourly rate that I consider reasonable

This here is my biggest problem, what exactly is the going rate?

I cannot tell you what hourly rate to charge as I do not know your ablilities for the line you want to go into.

If it would be better for you to help me make a determination, I would be more than happy to provide you with a link to my work. It is not yet in a portfolio format. I'm really stuck and am anxious to get started. Also, is there a place maybe online where I can get a contract?

Thank you for responding.
Aleja :)

aestronza
11-14-2005, 11:05 PM
per page rate

That sounds great. Something that would be easy enough for me to do. But ... again, this goes back to ... how much :(

I have NO idea how much to charge. I know that our consultants for web developing charge us $65-85 per hour. How much would it be per page? I feel like a big cry baby over this, but I just need a starting point.

Also build in the design time

Would you be able to elaborate on that? I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "design time."

I usualy knock up a couple of flat jpg concepts and present them on the 2nd meeting.

Do you present your potential client(s) with a Project Proposal or just a contract after having a few meetings to help determine the work you will be doing?

Aleja <_<

ramandeep
11-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi,
There are few sites from where you can get projects.
we are working with Rent a coder ('http://www.rentacoder.com'),you can have a go there .

To start you just need a Paypal account for verification thats it.You write your own portfolio and you can mention all your area's of expertise.For starting show your potential with good work and earn good ratings which will get you future projects.

The process on rentacoder is simple,buyers from all over the world post there work ,you have bid for the amount you can do that work.The process there is fairly simple and genuine.

aestronza
11-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Here is a link to the site that I designed for my Senior Project.
Senior Project ('http://www.secretgem527.com/school/Sr_Project/site/index.html')

Although the content of the site is not real. The idea for this site came to me when I was asked to do a site for a local restaurant and jeweler. (husband and wife entrepreneurs). What I want to do is present this site to them and hopefully they will bite. I already know they are interested, because as I mentioned, they approached me. They just sort of drag their feet, so I figured I'd take this to them and show them what I could do for their little Latin Restaurant. I may take away the splash page, and go with the inside information only.

I'm hoping this will help you all help me better.

New at Freelancing (but not web design),
Aleja B)

aestronza
11-14-2005, 11:19 PM
RENT A CODER

Thanks I'll check into it. Is this anything like www.freelance.com? A friend of mine uses this site. How about for personal use on a client to client basis? Any suggestions/advice?

Aleja :)

Creative Insanity
11-15-2005, 01:53 AM
We cannot actually give you an hourly rate as we are in the same line and would mean that we would be cutting our own throats as you could (or anyone that reads this) under cut us.

Ring around a few web studios and you will find that many of them have overflow work they contract out. You may not get a contract right away but if you have enough to show them (atleast 5 completed sites in the scripting they use) they may get back to you, or atlease put you on their books.
I waited a year, but once it started and they saw what I could do and how fast I was (and accurate) I could not keep up with them. I now average around 14 - 20 contracts a week which keeps me pretty damn busy. Things take time, and once you get a good rep you will take off. I took my portfolio down as I had enough to fill my boots and didn't really want any more.

domedia
11-15-2005, 04:05 AM
There's no going rate. You'll find people designing websites for free, and people charging 5 and 6 figures. We can't look in your portfolio and tell you what your work is worth because we're not the one buying your services. It's pretty much a basic 'your work is worth as much as anyone is willing to pay for it'. Depending on your market, the clients perception of you and the work that is involved, the actual work involved etc, there's so many factors.. :-/ I think when you ask how much you should charge or what your services would be worth, you're not understanding how the marketplace for web design services work. Some web design companies only get jobs if they have the highest bid ('http://www.sitepoint.com/article/guide-signed-contract'), others only get the job if they have the lowest bid ('http://www.elance.com/').
Personally I like the idea of finding the clients budget, and price appropiately.

ramandeep
11-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Yes its all about gaining experiance and goodwill with your clients.
You can start with prices according to clients potential(as admin said)
And once you got good list of your clients and your quality projects.
Your work speaks itself for price!

I am attaching a pdf document which contain a ebook for starting your own web design business.
There are many other forms which you will require for your orders and contracts.
Post your email and i will send it you.

They will surely help you!

aestronza
11-15-2005, 12:42 PM
I think when you ask how much you should charge or what your services would be worth, you're not understanding how the marketplace for web design services work

You are absolutely right! :( That is why I have turned to everyone here. Iím trying to learn before stepping out. I fear overpricing or underbidding. I know itís not really an exact science. I actually contacted a designer last night in my local area. I found his name on another site of a local business that I frequent and he basically goes on the ďfeelĒ of the job. I guess thatís the best way to put it.

Although I have been doing web design for several years, I've never freelanced. Basically, I go to work do my design stuff, leave at the end of the day and get a paycheck for it. That is why I have turned to the forums. I feel like a moron asking so many questions. However I am just looking for some guidance.

Personally I like the idea of finding the clients budget, and price appropiately.

"domedia," I think that this is a very helpful statement and very logical. I guess I was looking for a more complex answer. <_<

I really appreciate you and everyone else answering my questions the best that you can. And I totally can respect "Creative Insanity's" response:

We cannot actually give you an hourly rate as we are in the same line and would mean that we would be cutting our own throats as you could (or anyone that reads this) under cut us.

I don't mean to offend anyone. I hope I'm not crossing the line. If I am please by all means let me know.

:huh:

aestronza
11-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Yes its all about gaining experiance and goodwill with your clients.
You can start with prices according to clients potential(as admin said)
And once you got good list of your clients and your quality projects.
Your work speaks itself for price!

I am attaching a pdf document which contain a ebook for starting your own web design business.
There are many other forms which you will require for your orders and contracts.
Post your email and i will send it you.

They will surely help you!
ramandeep,

Thank you sooooooooooo much. I will DEFINITLEY be checking it out!!!

:D

Creative Insanity
11-15-2005, 05:13 PM
You are not stepping over any lines that I am aware of, nor are your questions silly. How can they be if you do not know the answers.

Getting a rep started is one of the hardest things, and I must admit I nearly gave up myself. So you have to be persistant and work hard at it. Nothing will fall in your lap as there are so many out there today doing the same thing. For myself I am leaning more towards graphics today for programmers rather than php.
It can get boring doing icons and graphical buttons for applications day after day, but at the end of the tunnel is money and that is a damn good motivator. LOL

domedia
11-15-2005, 08:21 PM
the pdf raman gave you is from a very, very good set from sitepoint.com. If you're serious about this, go there and purchase the full set, it will totally open your eyes :)
Price is a little steep for some, but it should pay back quickly.

aestronza
11-17-2005, 02:15 PM
You are not stepping over any lines that I am aware of, nor are your questions silly.

Whew! Thanks for the support.

Getting a rep started is one of the hardest things, and I must admit I nearly gave up myself. So you have to be persistant and work hard at it.

I am ready for the challenge!!! I just want to research this subject before opening the door and stepping through it. ;)

aestronza
11-17-2005, 02:22 PM
If you're serious about this, go there and purchase the full set, it will totally open your eyes

I am VERY serious! Thanks for the input. I will definitely check it out. I was also given a recommendation for a book, "Graphic Artist Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines" ('http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932102123/102-7317246-9891353?v=glance&n=283155&%5Fencoding=UTF8&colid=2QCZ1VO2MDK5U&coliid=I3O0T1MCQ7L8QX&v=glance') is anyone familiar with this book?

ramandeep
11-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Yes Mate i know it but i will reckon you to get off nice start and then go for it as this book emphasis on graphics and pricing for the corporate sector.I think you should go for the stuff from Sitepoint for starting a web company it will give you all essential documentation for Kick starting your business.!

Goodluck!

aestronza
11-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Thank you ramandeep, and everyone who has replied to me. You are all great. :D