PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Promoting a Site - FAST -

Shooga
11-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Hello Everyone!
Okay... first of all I am excited to be a part of this forum... My friend Aleja just told me how great it is and I have to agree!

I am new to web design and need assistance with a complicated subject. I've already read a few posts, and due to time constraints I must act fast and don't have a lot of time to self educate. Basically, I built a site for a guy who breeds pedigree dogs and the puppies were just born and he wants his site out there NOW!So, I'm a little stressed.....

Over a week ago I submitted it to Yahoo, Google, and DMOZ and it hasn't worked. I will go home tonight and edit all of the meta tags as I have just read more.... but I need a service or something to help me push it out fast.
Can ya'll recommend something/someone?
Anyone have experince with WebPosition Gold 3.5?
http://spider-food.net/wp-gold/index.html ('http://spider-food.net/wp-gold/index.html')

Also.. in the "VALUE" area for inserting meta data, I am unclear as to what I should put there....
Tjanmk you all for your kindness... :)

~Shooga

davidj
11-07-2005, 04:28 PM
i think these products are abit of a farse. yes they will do what they say on the tin but you can do just as good of a job yourself..

as i read your post i picked up the phrase HE WANT HIS SITE OUT THERE NOW
what you (or your client) really mean is I WANT THIS AT THE TOP OF EVERY SEARCH ENGINE NOW ....

oh how we dream. :rolleyes:

As i have explained in my other thread this is not an actual science. Different spiders index differently.

start with a VERY relative domain (big gold stars all round with this tip)
then make your site very relative (alt on images, sometimes you can be ranked on comments sometimes demoted, if you over kill a META... say goodbye to a top rank)

i remember the old tricks where you could add the word CAR 0r BUS or SPOON or SEX 3000 times at the footer of every page and color the text the same as the background.. Ahhh [think bubble]

davidj
11-07-2005, 04:40 PM
a guy who breeds pedigree dogs and the puppies were just born and he wants his site out there NOW

dont these dog breeders have publications??

his puppies may have puppies before he gets highly ranked !!!!

I would at this late stage rely more on already high indexed sites. google dog breaders and there are registration sites you can advertise with that are already out there. There will probably be a small charge but you get nothing for nothing..

gmcrone
11-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Here is a quick way to get indexed on Google.....

Google Sitemap ('https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login')

You have to register or have a google email account first, but it will get your site(s) indexed within 48 hours.

As to a higher page rank, good luck, it takes a while to get a top ranking, and even longer and harder work to keep it.

Mike...

Shooga
11-07-2005, 05:32 PM
and there are registration sites you can advertise with that are already out there.
Hi David,
What exactly do you mean by registration sites? What would be a good example (sorry ...I'm still new).

Another question... as far as adding the meta data... what should I put in value. I'm still a little confused for this part. I understand that in the content area I would put: german shepherd, protection, puppies.... etc... right? But I am not sure of what to put in the value area.

Thanks a ton David for your quick replies!! :D

Have a WONDERFUL day!!
~Terri

Shooga
11-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Mike,
Thanks for your reply! I looked at the Google site maps a week ago and being a beginner it looked difficult... is it really? See, as a student I am first learning The Macromedia and Adobe suites and am starting now to learn html code. I know it's sorta backwards...but it is all coming together. B)

So when I see a lot of code... I sorta freeze up.... is the Google site map considered simple?
And is this site map actually another link that I will add on my site or is it "hidden" in the code?

Thanks a bunch! :D

~~Terri
aka..Shooga

gmcrone
11-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Google will create the site map for you.
It will be an xml file you upload to your website.
After you upload it, you then ask Google to test it.
If it tests fine, it will ask you to Verify it.
To verify it Google will create an html file that you again upload to your site.

Google creates all the code you need, you just upload to your website root diretory without changing any of the code Google generates.

Mike...

domedia
11-07-2005, 07:44 PM
http://www.spider-food.net/ ('http://www.spider-food.net/') <-- great info. There's also some search engine articles from the left hand menu on our homepage, but spiderfood is excellent.

Shooga
11-07-2005, 08:32 PM
David and Mike.
Thanks so much!! I'll come back in about a week and let you know my results....

Stay tuned..... :D

~T B)

Shooga
05-03-2006, 11:34 PM
I was naughty and never came back to update you all.. :(
I ended up having a friend do it and it ranked quick. Since then I have taken over and it is much slower but I did the following things:
changed bottom Nav to text links
created a site map
researched and added meta data (becuase there are a few that still use it)
used Google ad words
will be adding other related links onto site

I still have soooooooo much to learn... I have basically discovered that the whole SEO bizness is a job in itself. I have a friend who is going to start doing this part for me as far as registering sites and managing the marketing. That way I can concentrate on designing building, and learning, learning, learning!
Thanks again!
~Shooga

domedia
05-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Hi Shooga, you seems to have gotten a good handle on seo, thumbs up.
You're right, seo is a full industry with plenty of people doing it as their only job.