PDA

View Full Version : MX or 8 ?

BOF
11-05-2005, 05:44 AM
There's an interesting thread in the 'Club Cafe' in which DW 8 is described as a 'coders' upgrade', with cons that outweigh pros.

No way am I a coder - just your average WYSIWYG plodder who's been using NetObjects Fusion up until now. So - MX or 8 for me? Which would be the better way to go?

Any pointers gratefully received!

Creative Insanity
11-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Me for one prefer MX by a long shot.

I bought DW8 and was horribly disapointed and in the throws of trying to return it and get my money back.
Why?

My local development server is Linux with php, mysql etc and no way in hell can I get DW8 to see the testing server where MX can. DW8 errors out on ftp connection where an FTP client and MX have no problems connecting.
I also hate the CSS setup in DW8 as in MX you can create a CSS object from the properties panel where DW8 has the stupid tab and I hate it.

Although MX does have minor bugs I think that DW8 has a way lot more.
I also hate all the damn prompts for forms and images.. what the hell are they for anyway.

My my opinion is MX by a long shot.

BOF
11-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Many thanks, CI - your reply goes to confirm what I've heard elsewhere. Think I'll go with MX!

Creative Insanity
11-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Yeah good move I recon.

davidj
11-07-2005, 02:10 PM
i have been using 8 now since its release (forced myself)

although i can see some benefits there is little i have come across to warrent a change over.
As i said in my other thread "DW 8 is a build update rather than a product update"

There is no real difference overall. There is a code toolbar which i have used 2-3 times

as i have purchased DW8 then i will use it just for that reason. I have found no reason not too as MX and 8 are so alike you would be hard pushed to notice you have changed over.

still buggy in the recordset area though. (as was MX)

If you have MX save ya cash and go and buy an ipod... If you work for a corp with a software budget... Let the company buy it and get them to buy an ipod as well (put it down as hardware on your expenses... say your using it as a mobile hard drive ... cant fail) ;)

Creative Insanity
11-07-2005, 04:33 PM
You are really not nice to an employer DJ.. I mean buying an iPod (crappy things anyway) out of the hardware budget.. tisk tisk.. LOL