PDA

View Full Version : ASP vs HTM?

likegluelikecrew
11-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm working on a site that was originally going to have dynamic content, so our boss told us to save all the pages with the .asp extension. Although as it turns out, we didn't end up using any asp and the whole site is basically static content, but all the pages are still named with .asp. My question is, does this matter that they don't have the .htm extension? Will the .asp extension cause the pages to load slower? We may or may not use server technology in the future, but for now, should I rename every page? Thanks...

We Are 138

Creative Insanity
11-04-2005, 05:44 PM
If you have not got ASP as a server side option then yes. If you have got ASP server side option then no need.

domedia
11-04-2005, 06:15 PM
But doesn't that mean that all the files has to be parsed as ASP? Even though there's no asp in there?

Creative Insanity
11-04-2005, 07:06 PM
yes which is why I said if no server side.

If he has not got server side he is going to have to view all the pages in a web browser and copy the source (the html created by asp) and paste that into another page and save them as html.

This is a boring job as I have done it before on a site that went from ASP to html and they had like 300 odd pages.. oh the pain.. the pain.

likegluelikecrew
11-04-2005, 09:14 PM
There's no asp at all in the code, to me it looks like the code is just straight up html code. We only added the extension because our boss told us to. If I just change the extension to .htm, won't that work?

Will the page load slower with an .asp extension? Won't the page have to be directed to the server side technology and be parsed and sent back?

We Are 138

Creative Insanity
11-04-2005, 11:46 PM
hehe.. I cannot understand why you named static pages .ASP if there is no actual scripting in them?
But yeah just toss all the pages into one dir and in a dos prompt and go to the directory where they are and go:

rename *.asp *.html
and everything named .asp will change to .html