PDA

View Full Version : Content Management Website

chriskq
11-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Wondering if anyone can start/help me off in the right direction for creative a content management website.

So creating the website is one thing - but how to make a section for just changing text and images (so doesnt effect code)

any good examples to follow all?

im sure this topic can generate alot of discussion
Cheers

ramandeep
11-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi ,
You can start with mambo/Joomla CMS ,these are gr8 opensource products .

just download it and install it.Its really simple to install and use!

And if you face any problems,our forums members are here to help!

Cheers!

Creative Insanity
11-03-2005, 05:43 PM
I am not a fan of mamdo and such like as they make your site look like 10,000 other sites. Sure you can customise them a bit, but not as much as making something yourself and learning along the way.
I do not see the sence of using other software that you rack your brain first off to figure out how it works so you can then make it how you want it and do all the work and still have to leave their tag on it. They are limited to what you can do with them.
You would be better off to put your time into your own work and in the end have something that you can tag as your own and also do some learning along the way.

ramandeep
11-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi Creative Insanity,
i am totally disagreed with you on this statement,Though it is your own likings for the CMS but it helps the people who doesnt have any design/development knowledge.
Managing a CMS for daily updations/additions makes there life easier than hiring a coder/designer for these task.

Plus these CMS offers many dyanamic features/addons which are very easy to install and configure.If you intend to get these developed it will cost you big bills.

where as using a free product like mambo/Joomla and paying little for customization saves you for initial plus future updation costs.

davidj
11-07-2005, 09:41 AM
try plone

check out some of the example sites.

You will need a good book to get to grips with it

Plone CMS ('http://plone.org/')

Creative Insanity
11-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi Creative Insanity,
i am totally disagreed with you on this statement,Though it is your own likings for the CMS but it helps the people who doesnt have any design/development knowledge.
Managing a CMS for daily updations/additions makes there life easier than hiring a coder/designer for these task.

Plus these CMS offers many dyanamic features/addons which are very easy to install and configure.If you intend to get these developed it will cost you big bills.

where as using a free product like mambo/Joomla and paying little for customization saves you for initial plus future updation costs.
But in the end you still have a site like 10,000 others and in the web world today for any site it needs the wow factor from the word go.. and CMS's don't give you that as they are like all the other sites.
We all started at the beginning when it comes to building a site.
All it needs is someone to put in the time and you will have a site that is all your own work and that you can make your own addons and updates for. So if we look at it in the road you are taking then that is going to cost you a way lot less.. in most cases nothing but time and devotion.