PDA

View Full Version : synchronize Update remote files

RII
11-03-2005, 03:55 AM
When I "PUT", "GET", OR "SYNCHRONIZE" files from the local site to the remote site , instead of overwriting the files................dreamweaver is creating duplicate files.

It is messsing up the entire web site.

How can I make it so the files are overwritten ( If it asks me to overwrite I always say yes)????????????????????

Thank you
Gary

Creative Insanity
11-03-2005, 05:53 AM
From DW help file.

Comparing before putting files
If you edit a file locally and then try to upload it to your remote server, Dreamweaver will notify you if the remote version of the file has changed. Dreamweaver gives you the option of comparing the two files before you upload the file and overwrite the remote version.

Before you start, you must install a file comparison tool on your system and specify it in Dreamweaver. For more information, see Specifying a comparison tool in Dreamweaver.

To compare files when putting a file:
After editing a file in a Dreamweaver site, put the file (Site > Put) to your remote site.
If the remote version of the file has been modified, Dreamweaver notifies you and gives you the option of seeing the differences.

To view the differences, click the Compare button.
The file comparison tool starts and compares the two files.

If you havenít specified a file comparison tool, Dreamweaver prompts you to specify one.

After youíve reviewed or merged the changes in the tool, you can proceed with the Put operation or cancel it.
Related topics
Comparing two files
Comparing when synchronizing files

RII
11-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Where do I find "Specifying a comparison tool in Dreamweaver." I don'yt see it in Dreamweaver Help.

Where would I get a comparison tool and how would that stop me from duplicating files when I "Put", "Get". or "Synchronize"???????????????

I think you should be able to ""Put", "Get". or "Synchronize" and overwrite the old files automatically, Is that possible??????????????????????

Thank youn Very Much

GK

davidj
11-03-2005, 04:18 PM
what naming convention is DW assigning the duplicate files?

RII
11-03-2005, 08:41 PM
The files have the same name.
For example:
If there is a file named about.asp in the remote
(web server) and local files
and the local file is changed/saved and uploaded to the remote file
There will be two files called about.asp in the remote site

When you upload a changed file it is supposed to overwrite the older file. What is the fix for this??????????????

Thank You
GK

domedia
11-04-2005, 01:32 PM
There will be two files called about.asp in the remote site
That is not possible.
It's more likely that the 2 files are in seperate directories.

RII
11-04-2005, 02:36 PM
For example, if I have a www root and the aboutus.asp file in this root,,,,,,,,,and I "put" the aboutus.asp from the local site to the remote site,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it will add an aboutus.asp to the remote site outside of the www root and there will be two aboutus.asp----------------------one within and one ouside of the www root.

Is there a way to direct the "put"

Thank you

domedia
11-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Yes, make sure your remote server info is set correctin Dreamweaver. Most likely you're missing the default folder in which to put your files. this will be something like public_html or www. Your host will be able to give you exact info.

RII
11-04-2005, 06:38 PM
dreamweaver will not automatically put the files into the www folder. It creates duplicates outside the www folder

thank you
GK

Creative Insanity
11-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Make sure that all the FTP fields are correct, like
/home/my_site/public_html/

RII
11-05-2005, 12:47 AM
I am checking with my host to see what my remote settings should be
Thank You

Creative Insanity
11-05-2005, 01:46 AM
If you just FTP to your site it will show them in the address bar at the top of your FTP client.