PDA

View Full Version : Whats best way of getting to the top of the search

becky gelke
11-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Whats best way of getting to the top of the search engines listings, should I use a specific prog for this, or is there something I can do through DW, I have version 4 and MX, I also have Addweb Pro, but am a little unsure how to use it. :unsure:

davidj
11-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Whats best way of getting to the top of the search engines listings

thats the golden question and if you crack it then you would be in high demand and very rich. There are some general guides and rules to assist you in laying down spider food. You have to make your page as relevant as possible.

if you google the words atmospheric conditions you would expect that you would see meteorological sites or weather pages....Nope... top of the list is a site i developed 10 year ago and has nothing to do with the weather..

i even (going back along time) targeted the meta tags so there would be no confusion when those spidys crawled through my site... They ignored the meta key words and took the domain as the priority :rolleyes:

the site was never ment to be live.. it was me messing around on a sunday with very little experience and was used to test DW extensions!

<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="wallpaper, wallpapers, designs, wallpaper designs, free wallpaper, free designs, desktop wallpaper, windows themes, windows wallpaper, graphics, design graphics, wallpaper graphics, free wallpapers, desktop imagery, illustrate, atmospheric conditions, illustrations, wallpaper illustrations " >

this site makes good reading and is a great resource

http://www.spider-food.net/ ('http://www.spider-food.net/')

ramandeep
11-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Hi,
These are some basic points though SEO is in itself a very vast topic
SEO in Dreamweaver
1. Use clear specific titles. (Modify > Page Properties> Title)

2. Have clear specific headings and anchors in the web pages.
(head tags plays a good role in search engine optimization)

3. State the purpose of your page clearly and concisely in the first few sentences of your web page.
(The spider
4. Interlink your pages as a complete site and make relevant links to other sites if appropriate.

5. Use metatags that use keywords and description synonyms, NOT the same words that are already in the body of the web pages. Specific words are better than general. Some search engines ignore meta tags so follow steps 1-4 as your priority.

6. Database driven web pages, dynamic non-static pages and multimedia files are not generally indexed in search engines so consider more accessible alternatives if you wish to provide your materials in this way. Passworded systems and intranets are also not indexed.

Meta tags: Dreamweaver provides an easy way to enter descriptions and keywords into your web pages. These tags are invisible in the displayed page because they appear in the HEAD section of the document rather than the BODY of the page. The HEAD section may also contain scripting such as javascript.

Each search engine uses a different way of indexing metatags, titles and opening parts of pages to rank your site.

Inserting Meta tags into your documents:

1. Choose the Insert > Head > OR Use the Objects Palette Head options (Windows > Objects) Click the Common drop-down to select Head

2. Choose the keyword and description. Only use the others as needed.
Re-edit these items by choosing View > Head Content.

keywords: Enter words that do not appear in your titles or in the body of your page. They should be unique synonyms with commas between them and directly related to your content.

description: Provide 2-3 short sentences describing the purpose of this page. Use unique descriptions not included in the body of your page.

Thiugh google ramking is not dependent upon meta tags but there are many other search engines that go for meta tags.

These are some points which can make your pages attractive for search engine spiders.

Cheers

domedia
11-02-2005, 04:50 PM
great replies guys.
I'd like to add for Google specifically, it's important to get quality links going to your website. Find some directories that list websites of your kind, try to get submitted to dmoz.org, but if you build a quality website, searchengines might just do the job for you, it's their job ;)

becky gelke
11-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Thank you for the replies, some food for thought there, thats for sure, has anyone ever used AddWeb, or should I not bother, and just do as much as I can via DW.

davidj
11-03-2005, 08:07 AM
understand how the search engines work first.

AddWeb is probably a tool that may help to an extent. It probably also has a search engine submit function although allot of these dont work because some search engines tend to disallow batch submisions

chriskq
11-03-2005, 08:24 AM
if you google the words atmospheric conditions you would expect that you would see meteorological sites or weather pages....Nope... top of the list is a site i developed 10 year ago and has nothing to do with the weather..

love the site david, and you said you made this 10 years ago. WOW !

is the whole site designed in Flash? i like the way when mouse over little squares, shows title above banner.
Wish i could pick your brain.

bye

davidj
11-03-2005, 08:38 AM
is the whole site designed in Flash?

i never used any flash in the site

ramandeep
11-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi Davd which site we are talkin about,
I cant see any link above in this thread?

davidj
11-03-2005, 08:45 AM
this was an experimental self learning project which only works in IE

http://www.atmospheric-conditions.co.uk/ ('http://www.atmospheric-conditions.co.uk/')