PDA

View Full Version : Sound for index page

chriskq
10-31-2005, 04:09 AM
Hello all,

my question probally has 2 parts:-)

1. Whats the best way to embed a mp3 file to your index page, the file is around 2mb. Anyway to embed it into the code so the broswer doesnt have to download the whole file before playing.
has to be code than:
<embed src="music/track1.mp3" width="100" height="36"></embed>
* im not really for the whole music on webpages thing, but my friend wants it on his site.

2. Any suggestions if i wanted to make a mp3 playlist that could be played continuously on throughout all pages within the site.
eg: playlist of music: track 1 -> track 4 || then loop all

Creative Insanity
10-31-2005, 05:15 AM
Firstly I would reconsider in music on the index.
1. It only works in IE (many use FF nowadays)
2. If a person has quicktime installed the qt plug would load another browser and attempt to stream the sound.
3. A 2mb file is a big file to embed and would slow loading time down. Not all people have a fast connection.

If you still really want to do it I suggest you look at streaming it with flash.

ramandeep
10-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi,
Our Moderator is exactly right ,the numbers of users using firefox is increasing at very high pace,you can use Flash for streaming audio if you want.

http://www.utexas.edu/learn/flash/sound.html ('http://www.utexas.edu/learn/flash/sound.html')
These tutorials might help you.

Cheers!

davidj
10-31-2005, 12:40 PM
1. Whats the best way to embed a mp3 file to your index page,

please dont do this at all

2mb file!!!!

:(

bkendall
10-31-2005, 01:00 PM
If you really need sound on the page you might try making the file smaller and looping it if it needs to run for a set amount of time. Flash would probably be the best suited for this application.

As many have already, said music is not always a good idea, but if you do it in flash and have an on/off switch and the file is as small as possible, you might just get away with it. I would say the most important thing is to think about your users and their experience, if it will enhance their session in some way or will benefit them then, it is probably ok to do it. If there is no other reason other than "it is cool" than you should probably reconsider.

chriskq
11-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks all for your advice..
I agree about the whole sound/no sound concept. i hope that this sound will enhance the overall site as it suits the company and their profile.

Thanks ramandeep, will look at tuts and see how it goes

thanks others again
Chris