PDA

View Full Version : Site won't refresh on server - Help!

st3v1e
10-18-2005, 06:13 AM
Hi all,
got my last problem solved thanks to a very helpful member, now I've got another!

I'm a relatively new user of DW, and have just built my first site. I guess it's normal practice to change things regularly on a site, but how do you re-publish them to the web?
I've recently made some changes to my site's index page, but nothing happened when I "Put" the files to my site.
I even retrieved all the sever files, and delete them, but still the old site appears when I upload the newer files . . . . . I'm a bit perplexed what's going on here, I guess it's to do with a cache somewhere eh?

Thanks,
Steve

Creative Insanity
10-18-2005, 06:38 AM
Yeah I would say it is your browser cache. At a guess I would say you are using Firefox.. although a good browser it's cache sux and you have to delete your cache files from a blank page.

If using IE just refresh a few times and if still nothing delete it's cached files also.
If still no luck.. delete or rename the index file and go to the site again. This in effect should reset the cache for the site. Then place the index back and try again.

If still no luck do what I do, brake a keyboard LOL.. it doesn't help the problem but man it sure feels good.

domedia
10-18-2005, 01:48 PM
..or you are uploading your files to the wrong place on the server.

st3v1e
10-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi Guys,
sorry for the delay in getting back to you, for some reason I got no email notification that there'd been a reply to my post (strange)!

Anyway, OK . . . . have cleared my browser cache several times, and I'm using Safari generally to view the page live . . . .. but have also tried Firefox and IE & have cleared the cache's in all browsers many times to make sure it's not something on MY machine.

My Web Host has been great with excellent response, and came up with the following final message:

"I presume they (my ISP) may be using some kind of proxy with caching that is not being updated as supposed to.

. . . . . . er, I didn't think my ISP would have any input into my web pages' uploading from DW . . . . can someone verify this and tell me what's going on?

Thanks.

Creative Insanity
10-23-2005, 10:47 PM
I dought it would be you ISP.

make sure the pages are loaded into with public_html or www (some hoster vary).

st3v1e
10-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Hmmmm,
still can't understand why I'm not getting email replies to these posts, I've got the "You are currently receiving email notification of replies" at the bottom of my posting box ?????

Anyway, thanks for the info guys, I managed at last to get the new site's index page up - but had to go to my host sites member section where I mamaged to erase all previous files manually!
That did the trick . . . . . so the next question is:
Why, when I connect to my Remote site in DW, does erasing all files, not working?
If I view the site after going to my host/members area and removing all files there, I get a blank white page when I view it next . . . . . but in DW, if I erase all "Remote files" excepting the root folder, the old site is still visible!

Hmmmmmm curiouser & curiouser!
Any info greatly received.
Thanx.

davidj
10-26-2005, 01:51 PM
if you delete files in DW do they appear to be removed??

try uploading a test page in DW and check that it exists physically on the server

then try again. You may have a permisions problem on the server

st3v1e
10-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Yep!
I removed all files under the root folder on my remote server, and refreshed the view to make sure they'd gone!
Went to my Browser, deleted the cache twice (to make sure), and then went to my web page via my Bookmarked link (Favourites) in Safari.

The old page was still there.
The only successful way I've got rid of it, was to go to my Hosts' members area and removed all my files from there!

Thanks . . . . any other idea's why DW isn't removing my files . . . .. it's a pain having to do all this just to "refresh" my web page every time.

Steve

Creative Insanity
10-26-2005, 07:23 PM
make sure you OVER WRITE the files. If you do not choose to over write them DW will save them under another name.

st3v1e
10-28-2005, 10:53 AM
er . . . . . . overwrite ????
I presumed that by checking the files were no longer on my site , and then uploading the new (updated) files, they WOULD be overwirtten ???

Thanx

Creative Insanity
10-28-2005, 06:19 PM
No that would REPLACE them.
If you are doing this through DW, it will ask if you want to update the files.. say yes.
If you are doing this through a FTP client it will ask if you want to overwrite the files, say yes.

st3v1e
10-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Woah . . . .
Hang on, maybe I'm missing something here . . . . . . right, this is what I'm doing!
1.Go to the window on the right of my page layout, where all assets etc are shown
2.Click from "Local" to "Remote"
3.Click on the Refresh circular arrow to shoa all foles on the server
4.When they appear in this window I erase them
5.Refresh again to make sure they're gon
6.Click on "Local" to show my new/updated files
7.Click on the "Put" arrow to uploas the
8.Click yes to update all "dependant" files

. . .. does this sound right? ONly I'm not getting the option to "overwrite" anything!

Thanx
Steve

Creative Insanity
10-28-2005, 09:20 PM
hehe that is because you have deleted them, so you are replacing what you previously had there.

What you are doing is correct and that should work and show updates for anything you have updated.

But when you update a file you do not need to delete the remote ones as DW will update the file you have changed once you send the updated file.. also if there are no added images etc, you will not have to send the dependant files. Only do that if you have included new images etc for your update.

st3v1e
11-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Hey thanks for all the info,
I've been trying to follow all the advice given in this post, but there still seems to be a problem!
I guess I've got the idea of what has to be done now, but things aren't happening the way the manual or yourselves say they should . . . . . . . wonder if it's something to do with my ISP ??

Thanks for all your help guys, very much appreciated!
I'll post back once I've got it sorted . . . .. have a great week!

Regards,
Steve

Creative Insanity
11-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Check out your ftp settings for both your remote site and testing server and make sure that is correct.

On most hosters it would be something like.

/home/URL_name/public_html (this can also be www).
That is where DW will upload the files.. so if that is wrong then your files will be uploaded to the wrong location.

st3v1e
11-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks for that - I tried again - no settings changed - just hilighted the files I wanted to update, and hey presto - instant upgrade on the site!
I'm not convinced it's me now!
I've sent an email to my hosting service - lets see what they come back with!

Thanks for your input - I think the gremlins ar at work somewhere!

Steve

Creative Insanity
11-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Glad it is all working now.
Great stuff.

st3v1e
11-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Creative Insanity,
Hi again, just wanted to let you know, I finally found the problem!
As I mentioned before, I contacted my hosting service and they suggested it may be to do with my ISP.
So after a few heated emails, I got the ISP to clear my account cache on their server . . . . . the site I was seeing was an older version which didn't want to go away . . . . . but after the ISP cleared the cache, it changed to the updated one!
I did this again a few days later, (by contacting them on the phone), and the same thing happened again.
So that's something new to me . . . . I thought all this emptying of cache and temp files on the ISP's servers, was done frequently (once a day for example) and automatically.
My ISP advises that they will do it only on request ????
Think I may need to change my ISP eh?

Thanks fo your input again . . . . have a great week!

Regards,
Steve