PDA

View Full Version : How to add music to website

tanya6673
10-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi! I'm currently in a dreamweaver class. Our mid-term was to design a site from scratch. Which I did and I eventually want to upload it to a website, but first I would like to add music to my home page. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks
Tanya

Creative Insanity
10-16-2005, 10:50 PM
1. Load your page into DW.
2. Click on the Tag Inspector
3. Click on behaviours
4. Click the +
5. Set 'Show events for' IE 6
6. Select Play Sound
7. Navigate to your sound file by clicking the browse button, click ok.
8. Make sure the left column is set to onLoad.
9. Make sure you upload the sound file to your web server.
Done!

davidj
10-17-2005, 08:25 AM
I would like to add music to my home page. Does anyone know how to do that?

first what type of music file are you wanting to play. mp3,wav,midi ??

if the file is greater than 100k then i would think against it

kate
10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Hello,

8MB is a five minute play and works fine in Dreamweaver. as well to put some kind of notification for dialup users.

You could of course 'stream' it. also remember the on/off button as not all like music, only imformation.

;)

davidj
10-18-2005, 08:17 AM
if its anywhere near 8 MB please dont use it

i remember in the early days (in the days of the hamster dance!!!!) when everyone was using midi files......Aaaaahhhhh {scream.......}

god..the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up

if you have to add music then it needs to load as quickly as the site or no one will wait around to hear it. You could load it in a small flash movie (very small) then you can make the on/off controls look ok rather than relying on embeded realplayer /media player controls which would probably spoil your site design

kate
10-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Nothing wrong when I had sound at mine,

I had no complaints, no error pages. anyway tanya6673 here is a link to Macromedia: a technote for adding sound.

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledg...cfm?id=tn_15345 ('http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15345')

Good luck!

:D

bkendall
10-18-2005, 12:29 PM
I think the question of sound on pages is one of those arguments that will never truly be settled.

My rule of thumb for sound or flash or any multimedia really, is if it makes sense and fits into the design then do it.

One of the ways you might "turn down" the critics is to have a music on/off button on the page.

I just reread the posts and it looks like you are adding the sound straight into the html so there may not be a good way to toggle the sound on and off that way but if you interested look around the macromedia site like suggested above I know thee are tutorials (or at least thee used to be) on how to add music via flash with on/off

davidj
10-18-2005, 12:59 PM
I think the question of sound on pages is one of those arguments that will never truly be settled.

yes it will..... dont do it!

settled!

bkendall
10-18-2005, 01:35 PM
You painfully remember the pings and dings of the midi files but that does not mean that at times a nice subtle mp3 wouldn't enhance a users experience.

I agree with you that most of the time there is simply no need for it, but I have seen it used where it did make sense. The same can be said for video on a page, there are place it makes sense and then there are place it is gratuitous.

We can also make the same argument for flash and images in general I bean why have bars and lines and pretty graphics that do not serve a real purpose. These are the same arguments of Jakob Nielsen, that say you should only do links in red and blue and basically have a text only site because that is web boiled down to the basic level.

I think as responsible designers, we can do both, we can create a functional user interface without sacrificing the art and creativity that make the web a better place. Just because I may not have occasion to use sound or video on pages does not mean that in some applications and in some designs, that they are not a perfect fit.

Ok enough ranting, "can't we all just get along"

:D

davidj
10-18-2005, 01:40 PM
well said

but im sticking to my guns!

unless you can show me a site (not flash) that does a good job of encorporating music with html...!

find one...I dare you.

(what other senario do you get to listen to classical music (cant use any other licensed music as that would be illegal!!!!!!!!!!) while browsing information??? errr ??

thats right ... a supermarket! :D

kate.. was the music on your site classical? out of interest

domedia
10-18-2005, 02:21 PM
We all get along, we're just very passionate about our profession! :)
my take:
Music *definately* has it's place on the internet. Music is not evil, but many webmasters are ;) Music is great on websites where the purpose is exactly that.. present music.
But generally on any website?
I totally agree with david, not because I dont like music, but because it show a total disrespect for the person who's going to use the website. I could for example put a little short, fast loading music jingle to load every time someone would load a new page on this forum. I might think it's cute, I might think I'm enhancing the user experience, in reality I would be absolutely ignorant to why this forum is here.

Know thy user, You are not thy user.

Actually, what we all think, or our own preferences, are not relevant :) Unless you're making your website for yourself, you job is to cater to your users. period. Nice graphics are nice too.. but once they get in the way for the real purpose of a website, we've lost sight of what a system is for. I love Nielsen, mostly because he's quantifies and makes the user experience measureable. When it comes to usability and the user experience, think with your brain, not your heart ;)

tanya6673
10-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Hey Guys!
Thanks for all the helpful messages. I will diffinately check out the multimedia site. The site I designed is called my little angels. Its all about my little neices and nephews. I though it would be cool when people came to my site for my homepage to play "you are my sunshine". Here is my website check it out if you'd like www.mylittleangels.us I would appreciate any feedback about my site. This is my first site so I'm still learning.

Thanks
Tanya

Creative Insanity
10-23-2005, 09:01 AM
I would add the same purple as the frame to the body back ground color also.
Just looks weird with that white.

Change the body tag to look like this:

<body bgcolor="#9933CC">

Golden_Armz
10-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi,

i was going to ask the same question,

id like to add a little mp3 player at the corner of my page which automatically plays an mp3 track- and can shift to say 3 tracks, with start stop and forward option.....

How can i do this?

Thanks

Golden_Armz
10-23-2005, 02:30 PM
http://www.wutangcorp.com/ ('http://www.wutangcorp.com/')

this is flash tho right?

davidj
10-24-2005, 07:35 AM
id like to add a little mp3 player at the corner of my page which automatically plays an mp3 track-
be very careful that the music you are playing is not copyright or you will end up with a very costly website

a friend got a letter through the door from the copyright police. He had to estimate his visiter numbers and then he was charged per music download (it was allot of money)

tanya6673
10-25-2005, 11:21 PM
I would add the same purple as the frame to the body back ground color also.
Just looks weird with that white.

Change the body tag to look like this:

<body bgcolor="#9933CC">
Thanks so much for that tip! I did what you said and it does look much better than the way I had it.

Thanks
Tanya

Creative Insanity
10-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Now to make life real easy for you tanya, create a text file and call it style.css upload it to the same location as your index.html file and connect as follows:
Place this line in the head of your page (s)
<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

Now in the style.css text file place this:

body {
background-color:##9933CC;
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 9px; //change to suit
font-style: normal;
line-height: normal;
font-color: #FFFFFF;
}

a:link {
font-family: Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 10px; //font size to suit
color: #ff6600; //font color to suit
text-decoration: none;
font-weight:bold;
}
a:active {
color : #f9a770; //font colour to suit
text-decoration : none;
}
a:hover {
color : #f9a770; //font colour to suit
text-decoration : underline;
font-weight: bold;
Once you connect this to your pages in the manner I have said above it will set your background colour for the page, text colour and links.
Change the colours and sizes to suit where I have commented.