PDA

View Full Version : How to set up my Mac so I can test dynamic pages

likegluelikecrew
10-15-2005, 02:59 AM
I thought all I had to do was put my files in the the documents folder of the webserver folder inside of my library on my hardrive. But when I go to Safari and type localhost in the address bar, I get an error saying that Safari "can't connect with the server localhost". What I'm trying to do is rebuild a php site, but only improve the look of the site using Dreamweaver, and keep all the php, programming database stuff the same. Isn't Apache pre-installed on all Macs? Anybody done this before?

Also, what's the deal with Macs and ASP. Can you NOT use ASP if you're on a Mac? If so, what's the best alternative... PHP? Coldfusion? One of these days I'm gonna have to learn how to build a database-driven website, so if someone could recommend which direction to go in and which one integrates the best with Dreamweaver, that would rule, thanks

We Are 138

Creative Insanity
10-15-2005, 06:16 AM
Since Macs core is Linux (Darwin) you will need to download and install Apache, php and mysql for Linux and install them. You may have to use a console for some of the installation process. Also ASP was developed by Microsoft and since a Mac cannot run IIS then you can use PHP.
From what I understand a Mac does not come with apache preinstalled.

davidj
10-18-2005, 08:42 AM
i have heard of an apache module mentioned

apache::asp

dont know much about this but maybe its worth some research

Creative Insanity
10-18-2005, 09:04 AM
The Apache::ASP is a joke david.
I have used it and it is pretty pathetic to say the least.