PDA

View Full Version : Table spacing broblem between browsers

Microracer
10-15-2005, 01:21 AM
Hello...this is my first post to this board, so please be patient with me B) ...I am haveing problems with my index and other pages where, depending oth the platform (Mac vs. PC) or browser type (safari vs. IE 5) I am getting these strange spaces between my images in tables. Please have a look at Keystone MicroSprints ('http://www.keystonemicrosprints.com') and see if you have gaps between the nav rollovers and some of the other art elements. I just can't figure out why this is happening. I have designed the art in PS7 and use a Mac. Any thoughts would be VERY helpful, thanks!

Dave

Creative Insanity
10-15-2005, 02:53 AM
All these would not help.

<td></td>

<td></td>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="174"></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>

<td></td>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="61"></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>

<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="1"></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>

<td width="56"></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
Also I see that you are not using a control table, which would be a good move and try where ever possible to use percentages rather than a fixed size.
If you want your control table a certain size then that can be a fixed size, but try to make all tables and divs inside the control table a percentage.

Microracer
10-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Creative-
Thanks for the help. but what is a control table? And what should I do with all the extra <td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
code? Thanks!

Creative Insanity
10-15-2005, 07:12 AM
I would load the page into DW and highlight them all and delete them. Then look at the preview screen and if deleting them messes things up just go Ctrl + Z and that will undo your last move and put them all back.

But your page is all out of alignment at the top, bottom, and gaps in the header.
Did you slice the page with ImageReady after you created the template in PS?

If you use ImageReady to save out your sliced images and create the html page, you can load that page into dreamweaver and click on the table for the entire template layout and go Ctrl + X, which will cut the entire template and place it on your clipboard. Then create another table, (your control table), and size the table for your template size and click inside the table and go Ctrl + V, that will paste your template inside the control table. A control table is for keeping everything under control under differant screen resolutions.
I know many people are going for no table and all div and css layouts these days, but I say gimme a good old table anyday :)

Microracer
10-15-2005, 02:12 PM
I sliced in PS then went to imageready and created the rollovers and exported the code. Then just used it straigh into DW without copying into a control table. So you suggest setting the width of my art with the control table 1st to keep things from spreading out? Thanks for your patience.

Creative Insanity
10-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Welcome :)

Microracer
10-16-2005, 02:30 AM
OK,
I've added a control table to the page. Can you have a look and see if the gaps are still present? Thanks for your help!

Creative Insanity
10-16-2005, 08:20 AM
The alignment is WAY better.. just 2 nasty gaps at the top on your header.

I would remove this:
height="1204"
and left the content asign what height is needed.

Try not to apply heights to your divs if there is an image there and let the image set the height of the divs.

You seem to have alot of colspans which can cause gaps.
I would take these out one at a time and see if they either fix or mess it.. if mess Ctrl + Z is your friend.