PDA

View Full Version : Redoing a php site in Dreamweaver?

likegluelikecrew
10-14-2005, 06:39 PM
I got asked to do a small paying job for redoing a database driven website that was done with php. Now basically I think they want the information and the database to stay the same, they just want the look of it updated. Do I need to know php (which I don't) to pull this off, or can I just import the site somehow into Dreamweaver and make it look better, change logos etc. and keep the php stuff intact? I have NO experience whatsoever with database driven sites or programming, but I would like to get this gig. Would I be over my head to say yes? How would one go about setting it up in Dreamweaver? Thanks...

We Are 138

davidj
10-17-2005, 08:38 AM
this is possible but be very carful

make a backup of the live site and store it somewhere safe

add the site to DW site manager as you would normaly

when in design view be very careful as PHP variables will be set in the page. The main body of the script will be above the HTML so dont go near it!!

examine the code and you will see <?php ?> tags.. Dont touch any code inside these.

any chages you make upload them and test. If the page fails then you may have overwritten something. resore the page from your backup

take your time and you will be ok.

once you have successfully changed the page then promise your self that you will learn PHP..
I promise you that you wont regret it and it will open a whole new world...