PDA

View Full Version : Meta Tags, Keywords etc, where to put them,

Taz69
10-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi all, having just built a site for my bro-in-law, I am looking to find out where I put meta tags exactly and do they work, or should I use something else ?

Cheers in advance for any help

Mark

Creative Insanity
10-13-2005, 11:16 PM
You place meta takes in the head of the document.

(between the <head> </head> tags)

ramandeep
10-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Here are the few tips for SEO for your site
Will meta tags help gets your pages listed in search engines? Yes, but first.....

1. Use clear specific titles. (Modify > Page Properties> Title)

2. Have clear specific headings and anchors in the web pages.

3. State the purpose of your page clearly and concisely in the first few sentences of your web page.

4. Interlink your pages as a complete site and make relevant links to other sites if appropriate.

5. Use metatags that use keywords and description synonyms, NOT the same words that are already in the body of the web pages. Specific words are better than general. Some search engines ignore meta tags so follow steps 1-4 as your priority.

6. Database driven web pages, dynamic non-static pages and multimedia files are not generally indexed in search engines so consider more accessible alternatives if you wish to provide your materials in this way. Passworded systems and intranets are also not indexed.

Meta tags: Dreamweaver provides an easy way to enter descriptions and keywords into your web pages. These tags are invisible in the displayed page because they appear in the HEAD section of the document rather than the BODY of the page. The HEAD section may also contain scripting such as javascript.

Each search engine uses a different way of indexing metatags, titles and opening parts of pages to rank your site.

Inserting Meta tags into your documents:

1. Choose the Insert > Head > OR Use the Objects Palette Head options (Windows > Objects) Click the Common drop-down to select Head

2. Choose the keyword and description. Only use the others as needed.
Re-edit these items by choosing View > Head Content.

keywords: Enter words that do not appear in your titles or in the body of your page. They should be unique synonyms with commas between them and directly related to your content.

description: Provide 2-3 short sentences describing the purpose of this page. Use unique descriptions not included in the body of your page.

I think this is enough For optimization at the moment
Cheers ;)

davidj
10-14-2005, 01:30 PM
check out

Spider Food ('http://www.spider-food.net/')

Taz69
10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the replies chaps, off for the weekend now at my bro-in-laws, sort his site etc, few beers.

Cheers

Mark