PDA

View Full Version : mailto subject line

shazzax
10-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi all
I was so impressed by the fast turn around to my question yesterday that im here again beggin your superior knowledge!
Im working on an e-shot and am using a mailto: link. I have the same mail address in two places doin 2 different jobs, and would like to have the mail software pop up with a different subject line for both already inserted. is this possible?
thanks again
shazza xx :)

domedia
10-11-2005, 05:33 PM
I must be ignorant :) what is an 'e-shot'?

bkendall
10-11-2005, 08:32 PM
this will insert a default subject into the mailto.

test (test@test.com?subject=test)

I am not sure if it works in every mail client but it does work in Outlook

gmcrone
10-11-2005, 09:10 PM
as stated if you add ?subject=whatever to the address you will get what you want.

However using mailto: is not a good idea.
1. spambots collect email addresses this way and you will get a ton of spam.
2. Not all email clients recognize the mailto: as valid

You can either hide your true email address by using javascript or other means .
Or the best way is to use a form (using CGI, PHP, ASP or whatever) to send the emails.
This way spambots cannot find your email address and it will work in all browsers.

Mike....

shazzax
10-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi bkendall :P
Thankyou thankyou thankyou! thats great as the majority of our recipients will be using outlook. its a small selected broadcast. This is great. Im on a roll how (hehe) can you also add a message?

Hi domedia
We call e-letters, email junk etc.. e-shots here. dunno if thats the correct terminoligy but our clients keep coming back fore more! hehe. Thanks for your reply.

gmcrone
Thanks for your feedback but im afraid its gone woosh over my head! lol!
:unsure:

davidj
10-12-2005, 02:52 PM
This is great. Im on a roll how (hehe) can you also add a message?

<a href="mailto:emailaddress@whoever.com?subject=hell o&body=messagecontent">email link
</a>

domedia
10-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi domedia
We call e-letters, email junk etc.. e-shots here. dunno if thats the correct terminoligy but our clients keep coming back fore more! hehe. Thanks for your reply.
I learn something every day :)
Obvious to say, I don't do many of these ;)

Creative Insanity
10-12-2005, 06:00 PM
In NZ we call that spam LOL

shazzax
10-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Hehe in England we call it Junk! lol :lol:
but u know if it pays the mortgage...

Thanks again EVERYBODY for your help. This forum is fab. u guys are ACE!
thanks again
shazza xx

davidj
10-13-2005, 08:35 AM
is it wise to give a killer a gun?

by helping shazzax have we not gave him a metaphorical gun?

we are all going to be spammed to death and we have no one to blame but ourselves :(

domedia
10-13-2005, 02:34 PM
is it wise to give a killer a gun?
Nope it sure isn't, but I don't see anything here that would indicate anyone is a spammer, apart from some comments given in a humurous manner :)