PDA

View Full Version : Downloading songs

moses11
10-10-2005, 01:15 PM
I building a website for a band and want to know which is the best way to have thier traks online and the best way for users to download them.

Cheers ;)

davidj
10-10-2005, 01:59 PM
I asume the site is going to promote the band

i would zip the music up and link to the zip. (although i dont think you will get much compression ratio as the mp3 is optomised already

also you could split the file down into 60 second bites and output this at a really low sample rate for playing on your site (listen to intro)

(although i would still make this a click for sample link )

domedia
10-10-2005, 02:35 PM
The *easiest* way to do this is to put the mp3 files directly on the server and just link to them. <a href="song.mp3">Click here to download the song</a>

kate
10-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Remember copyrighted music so permission will be needed from the band for the visitor to dl.

Also some hosts want proof of permission before uploading. some are more lenient.

:)

Creative Insanity
10-10-2005, 06:36 PM
I personaly would make a flash player and not allow downloading for cp reasons.

davidj
10-11-2005, 09:23 AM
I personaly would make a flash player and not allow downloading for cp reasons.

thats ok if your a multi million ($/) artist and are loosing money through free downloads but if your an unsigned band i think free viral marketing is the best way to get your music out there and noticed.

I also think you can upload music to the download chart! you never know your band might just hit that No1 spot

kate
10-11-2005, 09:45 AM
It is illegal for anyone to violate any of the rights provided by the copyright law to the owner of copyright. These rights, however, are not unlimited in scope. Sections 107 through 121 of the 1976 Copyright Act establish limitations on these rights. In some cases, these limitations are specified exemptions from copyright liability. One major limitation is the doctrine of "fair use," which is given a statutory basis in section 107 of the 1976 Copyright Act. In other instances, the limitation takes the form of a "compulsory license" under which certain limited uses of copyrighted works are permitted upon payment of specified royalties and compliance with statutory conditions. For further information about the limitations of any of these rights, consult the copyright law or write to the Copyright Office.

If the owner gives permission (written and signed) fair enough. till that happens its theft!

It does'nt matter which way you wrap it up to excuse yourself its stealing. just be aware of the legal system before you dl any material not just music.

:)

moses11
10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
:D Cheers guys, i'm just the designer so will have to let the band decide.

Rock on!

Creative Insanity
10-11-2005, 07:31 PM
thats ok if your a multi million ($/) artist and are loosing money through free downloads but if your an unsigned band i think free viral marketing is the best way to get your music out there and noticed.

I also think you can upload music to the download chart! you never know your band might just hit that No1 spot

Umm I somewhat disagree with the above. I have produced Trane and now Progressive for some years now and to make just one track is a lot of work and there would be no way I would place them on any site for a free download.
I would however (and have done in the past) contact a well known dj and see if he would be interested in adding them to his mix, but on a site for a freedownload, nup.

I think the same could apply to a band in getting a radio (rather than a rave like I aim at) play them in his/her mix on the radio.

davidj
10-12-2005, 09:34 AM
You are missing the point

what i am getting at is that if an unsigned band came to me and asked for a promo site then a collection of 2 -3 tracks for free download would only help the band get noticed. If those tracks appealed to me i may go and buy their CD

question...
would you pay for music that you have never heard before???? and if yes how would you know you liked the music (maybe the CD cover looked good or the publicity photos looked a bit rock-n-roll ....i think not)
2- 3 tracks would get the band noticed and would give the music listener an intro to the bands style which would possibly lead to CD sales or pay-per-download hits
I would however (and have done in the past) contact a well known dj and see if he would be interested in adding them to his mix
yes thats new.. Try radio1.. bet they never get any demos! or even lisa lashes she might spin up some tunes for nowt as she has probably never been aproached to play dem's

-----------------------------
One of the fastest ways to being signed is through public demand and to achieve that you have to get noticed
Im not a marketing guru so this is a marketing stab in the dark
If the owner gives permission (written and signed) fair enough.
Errr ... That goes without saying! and his post was worded as if he had permission!!!!

original post..
I building a website for a band and want to know which is the best way to have thier traks online and the best way for users to download them.
maybe....just maybe the band asked moses11 ......."can we have some of our music online"

bkendall
10-12-2005, 02:56 PM
I know back when I was writing for music magazines and doing websites for bands, the number one question I was asked is how can we get our music on the website.

Creative Insanity
10-12-2005, 07:28 PM
LOL @ david.
Missed the point? more than likely LOL.

yeah I guess a low bit rate sample doesn't hurt if that is the way they want to go.