PDA

View Full Version : Large application

davidj
10-10-2005, 10:00 AM
i am brainstorming an application which has the potential to serve 300 companies + 30 - 40 sub contracting companies each with their own departments (i dont have estimated unique logon count as yet so a stab in the dark we'll say 10 - 20 heads per company)

The app is a webebased, database input/output app with a client specific reporting suit (excel output)

what do you sugest for development?

is PHP 5 up to the job???

what db would you use

bkendall
10-10-2005, 11:46 AM
I think it comes down to preference in some respects, I am sure we all have our preferences. I would probably use MS SQL or really I have just finished a very large app and database and it is in MySQL. As for the language, in the past I have used Delphi for large apps but now that I have switched companies and doing the prog myself I am using Coldfusion and I would say it is more than adequate for most jobs.

davidj
10-10-2005, 01:05 PM
in the past I have used Delphi for large apps

yes i have too but we are steering away from exe installs as its easier to maintain and roll out across the web.

wasnt to sure if LAMP was going to be able to handle the traffic

i do think its going to need a dedicated server though

bkendall
10-10-2005, 01:16 PM
i do think its going to need a dedicated server though

I agree and I think the safest bet would be to have 2 dedicated servers. one for the database and one for the app (and all of the custom changes for each company). The company I was at before did not seperate the app and database and after we had over 250 clients ahd to start seperating and it was very expensive at that point.

Creative Insanity
10-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Well just to put some light on what to use.

I made a large app last year for an education network here for their Interanet which was a portal for all students and teachers and the app serves around 300 teachers and 4,000 students. I done this in php and mysql and it is running on a shared server (their net gateway) and works a treat on it's own.
This is not just your standard run of the mill portal as they could access from out side the network (from home) and could access their home directories off site also as well as email.
Was really a portal for all staff and students to access anything they had rights to on the network and as you can imagine a really large app once finished.

And I use php and mysql for the whole thing and to date I have had no callbacks saying they are having problems with it.