PDA

View Full Version : .htm vs .html extension?

likegluelikecrew
10-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Are they both exactly the same and can be used interchangeably or is one considered more "proper" than the other? Also, I've noticed you can name a homepage either index.htm or default.htm. Is one more "proper"?

Another thing, I've noticed on some pages, when you click on a link, in the address bar at the top of the browser, the domain name stays the same and doesn't show the html page (for example, usually when you click on say a products page of a site, you'll get the address bar designating the path like "http://www.whateversite.com/products.html"). Although I noticed on some sites, even though you click on a new page from the index page, you don't see any path with the .htm file listed. This is so cool, how do you do this?

I apologize for the barrage of questions... I'm inquisitive, what can I say?

We Are 138

davidj
10-10-2005, 09:10 AM
htm and html are really the same and servers should be configured to run both

I believe that the 3 chr extension is a windows thing which most servers adopt
4 chr extention was from days beforewindows (Unix)

Its down to your preference.

I've noticed you can name a homepage either index.htm or default.htm. Is one more "proper"?

agian its a server config. Most by default (apache, IIS) will have index.htm and default.htm set from installation. you can add your own quite easily therefore any naming convention could be classed as your Home Page

Hiding the url path can be done using frames. as index.htm is always loaded also some dynamic sites could produce this effect. You might hit a site and navigate 20 pages but in reality its the data thats changing on the index page not the page thats changing

domedia
10-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Are they both exactly the same and can be used interchangeably or is one considered more "proper" than the other? Also, I've noticed you can name a homepage either index.htm or default.htm. Is one more "proper"?
Like david said, this is decided by how your server is set up. If you want to (and if your host agrees to) you could even have page.htnl be served as a webpage (note the 'n').
Some normal default pagenames are default.html, home.html, and index.html. Again, your host will tell you exactly which ones are used for your sever.