PDA

View Full Version : Button Problems!

ATateNJ
10-08-2005, 04:53 AM
Hi all,

I am slightly new to Dreamweaver and very new to this forum. I need some assistance with a problem with previewing in browsers. Using Fireworks and DW I created some cool rollover buttons for a website I am building where I have them grey out. The problem I am having is a browser preview bug. I have DW 8 working on a Mac with OS X Tiger. When I preview in Safari and IE 5, one (and only one) rollover image (button) does not change color? Even moving the position and making new ones (I thought the origionals were corrupt) do not change? Netscape and Firefox work fine? I have had similar issues where a browser (specifically IE) did not translate or change some of my code correctly, but I managed to figure it out and fix it. This one has me NUTS!! Any help would be appreciated. (PS, i checked the code and it seems fine. I think it is just a browser issue.)

Thank you all for any assistance!

AT

Creative Insanity
10-08-2005, 09:15 AM
The biggest problem here is that Microsoft do not follow the W3C code of compliance that all other big browser makers follow. So really it is hit and miss with IE for anything.

Also if you read on Macromedia's dreamweaver forum you will see MANY people having major hassles with DW8. Personaly I think it is full of bugs and should of not been released. I even bought it and went back to MX 2004 for the simple reason that although 2004 found a testing server, no matter what I did DW8 would not.

Creative Insanity
10-08-2005, 10:00 AM
If you ever have problems with IE displaying something correctly remove this line in the header.
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"

ATateNJ
10-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Thank you both for your help! I will see if removing the line of code clears the problem. If not, I will go back to DW MX 04.

Thanks again!

Adam

ATateNJ
10-08-2005, 02:58 PM
I tried the removal of the w3c line. Really did not do anything. I can not see how DW8 could have the bug. It just writes HTML? If the code is the same in every other instance of the effect I am trying to create then the only answer is the browser is having the problem translating or has some copy of the page in its cache that it seems to reload? The main issue should be to effectively clear this version of the loaded page from the browser.

Thanks again for the help.

domedia
10-08-2005, 07:31 PM
IE5.2 for mac is notorious for it's whole own set of CSS bugs. I advice not testng in this browser at all. It's dead, forget about it :)
Mac users now have (hopefully) converted to firefox/safari.

We should be able to fix it for Firefrox though..
paste your website code in here (along with seperate css if you have one)

ATateNJ
10-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Thank you agin for you help. I did manage to fix the problem.

Just for those who might encounter this problem themselves, I had to create another button on the page using the "rollover button" wizard. I actually did this several times with one of them working.

Once I created the button, I cut and paste (or just moved) that code up to where I needed it. I saved the work and launched IE. Worked with out a hitch! (well, at least 5 hours of aggravation).

Thanks again!

AT