PDA

View Full Version : Meta Tags

Ricky55
10-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Quite new to web design, only designed three sites so far. I've just completed one for work and I have just let one of my colleagues have a go at the meta data.

I had a look earlier at what she was doing and she had over 300 meta keywords! Is this about right? what is the ideal amount? can you over do it and would this slow down the loading of the page?

Is it also true that Google and other search engines ignore them anyway? If so other than the title what else can we add? One other thing how many words would you recommend for the title?

Any help / advice would be very welcome, I just doesn't seem right to me to have so many keywords.

Thanks in advance.

Ricky55

domedia
10-07-2005, 05:18 PM
s it also true that Google and other search engines ignore them anyway?
Yes, meta tags are dead as far as search engines go. Basically because people did stuff 300 keywords in them.

Make sure you have a clear and concise <TITLE>, this will be read by SE's, appear in search engine results and appear in bookmarks etc.

Make sure your document is well formatted, valid and logic use of headers (H1, H2, H3) and semantic markup ie. use

for paragraph <ul> for lists etc.

For google, developing link back to your website from other websites are very effective. Find sites that are relevant to yours and see if you can get them to link to your website.

bkendall
10-07-2005, 06:02 PM
so domedia, have you quit using metatags other than the title?

Ricky55
10-07-2005, 09:55 PM
thanks for your help, yeah I would like to know, don't you use meta tags then?

does anyone else have any comments on this, I need as much evidence as I can gather to show my quarrelsome colleague who thinks because she's read something in an old library book that she knows best.

Thanks again.

Creative Insanity
10-07-2005, 11:21 PM
yeah I still use both discription and keyword.. keywords are not used much these days but the discriptions still are when you submit a site.

domedia
10-08-2005, 07:20 PM
so domedia, have you quit using metatags other than the title?
I'm not using them anymore for search engines. Most of my websites include a descriptive meta description which google displays when it for some reason can not find useable text on pages. This description will then appear on the search engine result page (SERP), but does not influence the rank your page has.

Visiting any seo forum will confirm this, Google is not hiding this fact either.