PDA

View Full Version : Site management

gibbs
10-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to dreamweaver. I've had it on my computer but never used it. I just started developing a website. I want to know if I should put an image folder on every page or should there just be one image folder for the whole site? I'm talking about the site structure that shows up in local view. I hope I made enough sense for you to help me. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I look foward to your responses.
Thanks again,
Brian

Creative Insanity
10-06-2005, 12:35 AM
You only need one image folder, make life a little easier.
You could also use sub folders for your site if you wanted to, so you know what images are for what part of the site.

Sort of like:

Images/header and images/nav_bar etc.

gmcrone
10-09-2005, 03:28 PM
It all depends on the site.
For smaller sites with fewer images, one sub-directory for all images is fine.

The larger your site and the more images you have, it starts to make more sense to have seperate sub-directories for each section of your site.

Example:
You have a large site with hundreds of images . You are selling/showing/whatever for many different manufacturers.
It makes sense to have a sub-directory for each manufacturer and a sub-directory in each manufacturers sub-directory for images only for that manufacturer.
Makes life easier when you have to update the pages and cull out any images no longer in use.

Mike...

gibbs
10-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I will have a lot of pictures on the site, so I am taking your advice and making sub folders. Thanks again. I'm still working on the site and I'm new, so I'm sure I'll be back soon to take advantage of your knowledge.
Brian