View Full Version : New Domain

max
10-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi, oh knowledgable ones!

I went ahead and purchased a domain name for my pwp site. I bought this:

www.bootcutters.com

in order to forward traffic to my personal web page:

(deep breath...)
http://www.bootcutters.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk ('http://www.bootcutters.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk')

Im having a problem setting up my DNS server. Everything seems in order, but i really don't know what to put in as my DNS. This is really quite frustrating!!

I know this is OT, but you guys seem to really know your stuff. and have hepled me out recently.

I know i should pay for and get hosting, but my circumstances cant really allow me to. So my free pwpw will do for now.
I've tried countless times to get my DNS from my ISP, but they say they wont give it to me.
The company I bought the domain from are ignoring all my emails asking.

If anyone knows how to help me out i'd love it!

Thanks alot...

m-

p.s. www.ukbusinessregistration.com was who I purchased the domain from.

Creative Insanity
10-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Ok, so you have a domain now, and you also have webspace.

What you need to do is find out the DNS addresses from the hoster where your files are going to be located and from there take that address (or IP numbers) and login to your domain account and you will see a space for DNS settings. Enter what your hoster sent you for the DNS for your site.

Remember that this can take up to 48 hours (most times within 24) to provocate (enter into the database) so you will not be able to reach your site from the domain URL until this has happened.

max
10-06-2005, 03:26 PM
yeah, I tried to find out my DNS location from my host, but they won't tell me..?

I've had the domain registered for a couple of months now, it says it wont accept IP addresses.

I've tried to change the DNS a number of times, but no change. I almost thought the company was bogus, but It has logged me as the owner of the domain If I search elsewhere...

Does anyone know why they won't tell me my DNS location???

domedia
10-06-2005, 05:18 PM
This is one of the reasons why you sometimes want to keep your registrar and your hosting company 2 seperate companies..

max
10-06-2005, 06:22 PM
so, does that mean im screwed??

Surely I can find my DNS (providing that is my problem) from somewhere!

would it work by substituting someone else who has a similar DNS location? eg a friend of mine did the same thing;

www.mintola.com

This forwards you to his pwp site (blueyonder also) but he didn't neeed to enter DNS details, it was automatic..?
I should really have went to the same comapy as him, but it's kinda irreversible now.

Am i screwed?

Have i paid (all be it only 20) for nothing?

:(

m-

domedia
10-06-2005, 06:36 PM
If your registrar will not answer your question and your host won't help you I'd suggest you replace both.

You need to able to change which nameservers you use (or at least be able to modify the DNS records for your domain to point to the correct IP address) in your account with your registrar.

Your host also needs to make sure requests for your hostname www.bootcutters.com will be directed to the right account on their servers (I assume you use visrtual hosting; several websites hosted on the same server (IP)).

max
10-06-2005, 07:10 PM
thanks for your help,

i think I'll call my host again when i get home.
Demand(!) they help me, or tell them where to stick it!!

Thanks for your help guys...

:)

Creative Insanity
10-06-2005, 07:24 PM
This hoster max sounds a little micky mouse to me.
In all the years I have done sites for others and myself I have never had a hoster refuse to give name server addresses.
The normal practise is when you pay your money (wether it be a year or a month) they email you your cpanel login details and the DNS settings and some even give you good instructions on what to do with the DNS settings.

I think I would stear clear of that hoster myself.
There are a heap of sharks out there.