PDA

View Full Version : Table keeps breaking in template!

likegluelikecrew
10-05-2005, 03:34 AM
I built a template by slicing up a homepage I made in Photoshop and Imageready. The header is sort of like a big "L" shape if it were rotated 90 degrees clockwise (the bottom of the "L" pointing downward). The nav bar is under this part of the downward L bottom on the left side. The main content I want to the right of the nav bar, meaning it will be about one inch higher where the nav bar top is, since the nav bar is under the downward part of the header and the main content is up against the top (I hope you get this, it sounds more confusing than it is).

Anyway, I created a table cell for the nav and put an editable region in it, and I did the same for the main content section. Now here's the problem... when I base a page off the template and put images and text into the main content section, it explodes the table and the "bottom L" portion of the header gets displaced from the rest of it. When I redid the template by putting the main content and the nav cells directly level, I don't get this problem because they're both completely underneath the L header and therefore don't mess with it when I add content, but it doesn't look nearly as cool and now I have this one inch blank space above the main content. How can I set it up so the main content won't explode the L part of the header?

Hope you could follow, thanks...

We Are 138

davidj
10-05-2005, 08:27 AM
please post link

Creative Insanity
10-05-2005, 09:06 AM
At a guess I think it is because you are not using any of the template as background and when the text is placed it is taking the template out of shape.
When you use a template from IR save both the images and an html page into your site directory and in DW make a BG from the images that need to repeat because of table growth from text.

You may have to alter some images a little to make them repeat correctly to suit your template.

Hope this helps.

likegluelikecrew
10-05-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't have a link because the site is not posted yet. I didn't want to put the image in as a background because it's not just a color, it's a textured graphic that was sliced in Imageready and will look wrong if there's space opening up around the picture or if it tiles. Any other ideas?

Creative Insanity
10-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Use an iframe.

likegluelikecrew
10-05-2005, 06:37 PM
What's an IFrame? I thought frames were a no no these days, I hardly see sites that still use them. What are the problems with them anyways?

Creative Insanity
10-05-2005, 06:48 PM
I frames are still used my a large number of both corp and home pages.
They rock.

<iframe scr="page.php" width="the size you want in px" width="the size you want in px" frameborder="0" name="any name you want" scrolling=" either yes or no"</iframe>

Then when you want to link a page to an iframe say from the nav bar then you set the pages target to the name of the iframe.

Remeber that if you have a BG image or colour on your template where the iframe is to go align the part of the template to left top and make the panel image or colour the BG of that panel and also add that BG to the pages you are loading into the iframe.

The beauty with iframes is that you can use the one main page with your template on and load all the other pages into the iframe.

Here is a site that I done that has a template by a mate and the site was coded up my me.
Cj Daft ('http://cjdaft.webthings.org')