PDA

View Full Version : image switching (...i think)

MaxBeckett
10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Hello,
I'm totally new to dremweaver and have hit a snag. I'll try to describe it as clearly as possible.
I'm making a simple web site to showcase my (print) graphic design work. I designed ma pages in photoshop and then sliced them up and made the rollovers in imageready, then loaded them up in dreamweaver. The way my portfolio section is designed, I have a central section that is a kind of grid of black and white thumbnails, when you rollover one it gets colorized. All that was easy to do. Now I could just link the thumbnail to a new page on which we see the larger, complete, image related to the thumbnail, but that would mean reloading sections of the page unnecessarily. When a thumb is cliked I want that grid of small images to be replaced by the large image of the thumb that was just clicked. How can I do this? I know this grid thing sounds off, but it looks really cool.

Can anyone help?

One thing I did figure out, was how to use layers to make stuff appear and disappear, but using that for this would mean having 15 to 20 hidden layers on page. It seems somewhat inneficient to do it that way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

bkendall
10-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Now I could just link the thumbnail to a new page on which we see the larger, complete, image related to the thumbnail, but that would mean reloading sections of the page unnecessarily.

Why would linking to a new page be reloading the page? If you link to a new page you are not reloading the page you were on. Unless you are meaning going abck and forth from the new pages to the thumbnail pages and in most cases your browser will cache the images.

MaxBeckett
10-04-2005, 07:34 PM
hmmm.
Ok this is what I thought was happenning. Let me know if I've got it wrong. If my link (the thumbnail) takes the person to a new page on which the complete image is placed, won't browser have to reload all the elements of that new page? Ant if several of those elements are the same as the ones on the page with the thumbnails, doesn that mean that it's reloading stuff (and by stuff I mean various graphic elements) for nothing since they're the same as what was on that first page anyway. Does that make any sense at all or am I totally screwing this up?

Max.

bkendall
10-04-2005, 07:44 PM
No you basically have it right, but in most cases that is accepted behavior. You could have the thumbnails launch a popup window that only has the larger image that way you would not be loading anything extra into the browser.

MaxBeckett
10-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the help bkendall, I appreciate it.
So I had it right then? Well that's good I suppose. I guess I may have been complicating things for myself. I thought about having the larger image in a separate window (tried it actually), I didnt really like the result. It seemed kind of strange (visually) to do it that way.

Thanks again.
Max

bkendall
10-04-2005, 07:55 PM
I agree, I have never been a huge fan of popups because they are commonlt associated with spam or banner ads. I have always liked the idea of simply going to another page.

You should post your page when your done with it, I am sure we would all liek to take a look.

domedia
10-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Max, all your images etc you use in your website get's cached by the users browser/computer.
It is totally O.K to load a new page. Actually it is the preferred method if you ask me. You're trying to fix a problem that does not exist :)