PDA

View Full Version : Windows or Linux Server?

Ken Rogers
09-22-2005, 04:18 AM
I've found a reputable web host for my website. When you signup, if you select a Linux base you get the advertised price. If you select windows - they double the price pretty much. Im not sure exactly what Linux is but can I work with that using my home computer (I'm running windows XP)?

Do I need some sort of special Linux course? Or a Linux home computer? Pardon the dumbness of my questions, but I need to know.

Ken

davidj
09-22-2005, 09:12 AM
linux is an operating system just like your windows XP except its open source which means everyone can add to it.

linux is free or is at a very small cost (peanuts) compared to microsoft so the Host is passing on this cost through product sales

things to think about..

if you are using a scripting language then make sure your host supports it under your chosen platform

asp = microsoft
php = linux

Your host will probably have a control panel you access to administer your web space (just like a web page) you should be able to access a demo - ask your host about this

HELM was a good one i have used before

Do I need some sort of special Linux course? Or a Linux home computer? Pardon the dumbness of my questions, but I need to know.

you dont need a linux course unless you want to roll your sleeves up and get inside it.

If you wanted to install linux on your home computer then i would say get a good book but if your using it as a hosting platform you dont need to know that much about it. Your host will be doing all that stuff.

nor do you need a linux based computer. Just design and bulid your website then upload it to your server, then lay back and relax with a coffee and a doughnut

Ken Rogers
09-22-2005, 03:35 PM
A Linux doughnut?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Kenny